[ SHOWGSD-L ] San Diego Show

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:00:07 -0800

Some people get excited over playoff tickets, some over opening night, and much
to my family's confusion, I get excited over a gorgeous dog...really excited!
I don't care who owns it, who bred it, who it's parents are, zip.  I just see
what's before me and if I like it, I think I'm looking at a Picasso, Rembrandt,
or what have you, a work of art and that's really really exciting.  Saw a bitch
puppy in San Diego that was the litter sister to my BOS Puppy at the Nationals,
Ticklme-Elmo.  WOW!  She is magnificent.  Fred gave her Best Puppy.   Happy and
Elmo my have gone #2, but their babies are certainly #1.  (I heard at the show
Mama is expecting again, thank you Dog God)  Other special show moments
included seeing Jean Whalen's face when she realized her lovely bitch won the
points, we all saw it, she didn't.
Driving home from the show yesterday, I was overwhelmed with feelings of such
love for (some) of my fellow shepherd people that I am growing old with.  I
could not have enjoyed a show more.  Fred Migliore was his wonderful self.  I
also wasn't unhappy that his WD and BOB who was my Best Puppy at the Nationals.
 That little guy is maturing so nicely.  What was also special about the show
was the showsite dinner afterwards put on by some of the exhibitors in
celebration of their beautiful dogs.  I was almost in tears looking at all of
us and remembering when our children were in playpens right next to the ring,
and now most of us were grandparents several times over.  We were growing old
together.  I lost my car keys at the dinner and several helped me look for
them.  They turned up in my front pocket.  We shared lost car key stories.  We
were growing old together.  The dinner was fabulous, and while eating we
discussed what we could and could no longer eat.  Since many dog people are
either in the ring running or outside the ring running, those of us that can
barely walk are the minority.  However, even the fit had eating problems
because we are growing old.   I so look forward to the Long Beach and Orange
County Shows in a couple of weeks, just to sit and be with those 45 years of
memories, those special doggie people, and the beautiful dogs they create.
I love you Southern California Dog People!
Helen Franklin