[ SHOWGSD-L ] San Antonio Report

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:08:28 EDT

Before leaving for Canadian National, Bob and I sent up emergency plans  with
Donna - our RV park Manager on Mustang Island on lower Texas coast.   When we
arrived in Buffalo, the eye of Ike was pointed straight at Port
Aransas/Corpus and she was evacuating to San Antonio on Thursday AM.  But  as
you all know
, Ike turned North and Donna elected not to leave.  By  Saturday morning she
called, having been up all night, saying it looked like she  would have to
water the park grass that day.  It is truly amazing what a  difference being on
the West side of a hurricane can make.  We went from  expecting a 15 ft storm
surge & 100+ mph winds and $1,000,000 worth of  damage, to getting a 2 ft
surge, 40 mpg winds, and little rain.  The people  on the lower Texas coast
were
truly blessed this time.  However we prayed  for our friends and all the
residents North of us.  We knew Galveston and  the area beaches would be
submerged
and that the $$$ damage to Houston would be  huge.
San Antonio, the staging area for most of the rescue teams, also was
unscathed.  My granddaughter, who was doing kennel duty at home for us,  called
say that the high winds never came and that it did not even rain  there.
I understand Greg Eschette, who lost the roof off his kennel to Gustov,  lost
part of the roof of his house to Ike's wind and rain.
The Galveston are remarkable - I saw an interview of one resident who had
already returned and reported that their were scrape marks on his ceiling where

debris had floated against it.  He had his shovel and was starting to dig
out the mud that was left behind when the waters receded. My prayers go out to
all those devastated -
Relief efforts are going on in San Antonio to sent needed food and supplies
into the area.
San Antonio has a huge rescue kennel set up for evacuated pets- The ones
from Gustov just went home.  But thank God that buses have been taking pets
and
that there is a place for them to go.
Bob and I were not able to get in until midnight Sunday night because the
flooding in Chicago caused plane delays, so that is about all I know.
Carol Moore

In a message dated 9/15/2008 9:38:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
PS.......how did the Hurricane treat  you???    Everything  OK??