[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Same Batty ideas

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 05:00:55 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2008 9:43:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
You can't compare the Canadian nationals to the GSDCA.  We  are a  spread
membership with a very diverse membership.   Few Canadians make it to  the US
National either.

Evan is very right.  There is no comparison between the  nationals other than
GSD's are shown.  There is only obedience and  rally along with conformation
in Canada. Also a temperament  test.   There is no requirement for acres of
land, herding  facilities and so on.  And I am only guessing at this
time......but  the last I posted on this issue  over 2 years ago, approximately
80  plus%
of the membership resided in Ontario where the nationals are held. A  few
times the show has gone west or east but it appears to work best for  everyone
be held where it is held.

The GSDCA has a very active membership spread over every state.   As pointed
out, many of these people cannot travel so it is great if the  national comes
close enough they can make it every 4-6 years.    If you cater only to those
who consistently enter then you in turn make it  "their" show. Yes it is about
entries, it is a dog show. But how on earth  do you keep the people involved
if it not sometimes about them?

I don't believe we have ever lost money in recent years on the  national
entry/location, and it is not about making money....as long as we  don't lose.

The heaviest member states are California, Florida, New York,  Pennsylvania
and Texas.  To not a least make an effort to come close  to where a strong
membership lives from time to time would be to  exclude them.   The Canadian
National is where the strong  membership is.........and the entries just come,
from
where ever.

Molly

Trillia German Shepherds  since 1972 ph 409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, Life  member CKC
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone  amateur
built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the  Titanic"

48)