[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Safe at any speed

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:12:33 EST

In a message dated 3/15/2005 6:36:01 PM Central Standard Time, PUD709@xxxxxxx
writes:
I have never seen a herding dog who is a beautiful picture racing like
something is after him or her. Our breed is supposed to have a floating,
flying
gait. That does not mean fast -that means ground covering and correct.
I think there is the possibility of some misunderstanding over the word
"fast."  I'm not at all advocating that the dogs should race.  However, fast or
slow is all relative to how much ground they cover. In fact, the greatest
movers
will almost appear to be moving in slow motion as they actually travel at a
faster rate of speed than the lesser dog which might be taking twice the number
of steps.  In that case, the first dog would be more correct, while the second
would be what some of us call "busy."
There is a catch though, which has been my point.  If a dog is moving at an
extremely slow rate of speed, but appears to be extremely suspended, I believe
that dog should be asked to go at a faster pace in order to see that it
actually can.  As Paul said, "They all have their best speed."  That is true,
but if
they are not capable of changing speeds and moving correctly at all of them,
then something about their structure must be incorrect.

Tom Langlitz