[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SUV Side-By-Side Wire Crates

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:49:48 EST

Kathy,
Still looking for a point of contact with Kennel-Aire, I found this
testimonial in a Basenji breeder web page.  I thought you may enjoy  it.

DK

Why Pay All That Money
For Kennel Aire Crates?

HERE'S WHY...

On a sunny  Monday afternoon in July, 1997, Kirstin Sigrist [Istari Basenjis]
and I were  driving from Missouri to the BCOA National Specialty in Denver,
CO.  Just  outside of  Colby, KS, we were hit by a three-trailer semi.  The
photo  above is of my Mazda Navajo after the collision -- sitting in a Colby
junk
 yard...
What does this have  to do with crates for your van or car?
EVERYTHING.
We were traveling  with four Basenjis, and were using three different types
of crates -- a General  Cage Wire Crate, a Deluxe Vari-Kennel Crate [plastic]
and a nine year old  Kennel-Aire Commander-series crate.  The only crate that
survived this  accident intact, and the ONLY crate that protected its occupant
from significant  harm or potential death was the Kennel Aire crate.
On impact, the  General Cage Wire Crate literally came apart at the seams --
the wires became  unsoldered and turned inward -- impaling the dogs inside it.
 The  crate door came open, allowing one of the Basenjis to escape onto the
highway.  Amazingly,  the Basenjis in this large wire crate survived  the
accident, and the escapee was recovered.  Both, however,  had  puncture
injuries
from the crate wires.
On impact, the Deluxe Vari Kennel  compressed from both sides [due to the
force of the collision] and the door  flew off.  The Basenji riding in this
crate
 roamed through the  tangled remains of the back of the Mazda for a few
moments, before fortuitously  deciding to climb into my lap.  When I regained
consciousness  [which, of course, I might not have) I grabbed her collar and
held
on -- thus  prevent her from roaming the highway and possibly meeting her
death  ...
On impact, the Kennel  Aire crate was dented at its base.  The dog inside
suffered a mild  concussion, some bruises, and a torn toe nail.  The dog was
nine
years  old.  The crate was nine years old.  Today, both the dog and the crate
 are TWELVE years old.  Both are still worth their  keep!
I learned many  important lessons from this experience. One of them is that,
in a split second  on a bright, sunny day, your life can change forever.  And
in a split  second, some of the things you hold most dear -- that make your
life worth  living -- can be snatched away.   The Basenjis involved in our
accident (and thankfully the humans as well) were miraculously spared from
death
or serious injury.  But the crates that three of the Basenjis rode in that
day were NOT part of that miracle.  They were part of the  nightmare.
If you travel with  your dogs in your car or van, please consider purchasing
a Kennel Aire  crate -- or a crate of similar design and strength.  The crate
that  survived our accident was a Commander series Kennel Aire crate, with the
"old  fashioned" Y-latch rather than the newer cam-lock.  I cannot
overemphasize  the fact that the doors of both the General Cage Crate and the
Vari-Kennel crate came off, or flew open, on impact.  The unique "Y" latch
employed by
Kennel-Aire did not.  Yes, Kennel-Aire (or comparable) crates  cost more
money -- but you will have gone that extra mile to protect your dogs  from harm.