[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: STROKES IN DOGS

  • From: barbarar <domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wynsum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:53:50 -0600

Zoe,
I had a dog with vestibular disease.   She lost her balance, could not
walk, and had a VERY NOTICEABLE HEAD TILT.,and I brought her to the vet
and they diagnosed her.   She had to be on Benedryl 3 pills 3X a day..
She was at the vet for 3 weeks and came home very happy.  Her head was
slightly tilted for about 2 weeks after that.
This was when she was a mere puppy of  11.
Domara's Ultra Violet Light died at the young age of 14 years, and
around 7 months.    May she rest in peace!
It is not a stroke, or so I am told.
barbarar

Doc Zoe wrote:

>Old Dog Vestibular Disease {HYPERLINK  \l "Top"}
>Peripheral vestibular disease is not an uncommon problem in older dogs, an=
>d is characterised
>by a sudden onset of signs including head tilt, wobbliness, falling or ina=
>bility to stand due to loss
>of balance. Disorientation may be severe. Nystagmus (flickering of the eye=
>s) is present and
>some dogs have transient nausea, vomiting and anorexia.
>
>Since the cause of this problem is unknown it is termed 'idiopathic'. It i=
>s diagnosed by
>eliminating other causes of peripheral vestibular disease such as inner ea=
>r infection, and the
>condition improves over time (usually a few weeks although in some cases t=
>he head tilt is
>permanent). Some dogs benefit from motion sickness medication to treat nau=
>sea and vomiting.
>
>--> Unfortuantely they did not mention which motion sickness meds
>

>Dr Zo=EB M Backman
>http://wynsumgsd.com
>Support Your Vets and POW/MIAs

>POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the original
>are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

>PROSECUTED.

>VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://www.showgsd.org

Barbara R.  icq#14282540
domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.domara.com (beautiful GSDs, where form follows function)
http://barbrazart.netfirms.com/animalportraits/index.htm
(watercolor, pastel, oil, acrylic paintings)
http://barbrazart.netfirms.com/
 "I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere"