[ SHOWGSD-L ] STANDARD-Saved best for last!!!!!

  • From: "D.D. and Bonnie Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:03:02 -0500

Listers- Now lets start a discussion on my favorite section of the Standard.
The final sentence in this section takes the whole Standard and condenses it
into plain language that anyone should be able to understand. "The ideal dog
is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and
gait suitable for the arduous work which constitutes its primary purpose".
This is the last sentence on the section on "Character".  Powerful words
which describe a good German Shepherd Dog.

In discussing points in the section,  I find the greatest variances is in
evaluating correct temperament.  I see a number of judges who do the "loose
lead temperament evaluation"(LLTE)  as recommended by the GSDCA and if the
animal passes then they are through with that part of judging the dog.  Read
the part of the section on Character that begins with, "the dog must not be
timid, shrinking behind its master or handler: it should not be nervous,
looking about or upward with anxious expression of showing nervous
reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange noises or sights.  Lack of
confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character.  Any of
the above deficiencies in character, which indicate shyness must be
penalized as very serious faults, and any dog exhibiting pronounced
indications of these must be excused from the ring".
So in my mind, passing the LLTE is only a part of determining correct
character.  How many very nervous dogs that passes the LLTE and almost s**t
in the ring when someone makes a loud noise  and flys around the ring as if
someone is after them but still wins the class/points.  More than I want to
count.  This characteristic and similar ones as described above are to be
"penalized as very serious faults".  What do you think?  Should temperament
evaluation stop with the "Loose Lead Temperament  Evaluation"?  I hope not!
D.D.