[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SO IF NOT THE GERMAN SHEPHERD, WHAT THEN?

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 16:11:29 -0400

Good question.  I am currently training 5 Golden Retrievers for clients.  I am
having a great time with them and it brings me back to the days when I bred and
showed Labs.  The dogs are intelligent and so willing to learn.  However, they
don't have the one thing that makes me love the GSD.  The Goldens only want to
please.  They learn quickly and well.  But, they lack independent thinking or
reasoning.  The GSD also wants to please, but on their terms.  They are
willing, able and confident workers.  But, they are many times smarter than we
are on what needs to be done or what they think is right.  Many times they are
right.

I have always had a toy dog, a Yorkie, until recently.  I love the little
attitude and the way they keep my pack humble, LOL!  I wouldn't want a bunch of
them but one is good.

I don't know that I could deal full time with any other breed than the GSD.
Not now.  They have stolen my heart and keep on on my toes to try to remain the
smarter one :-)

Laura