[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ]was Modifying GSD temperament/ now training

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:33:09 EST

I've never trained for a TC, but I proof the heck out of dogs for whatever
will happen in the ring.  I've had dogs thumped on, fallen on (2!!!! ~ one
actually on the day he finished, and YES the judge landed w/ both hands on
his  back after tripping over a poorly laid indoor mat, accidents happen), a
12-18  dog hit on the head w/ a leash when a (GSD!) judge playfully tossed
the end  of a too long leash to a handler after he finished his exam, then
looked  outside of the ring and apologized, lol.....didn't matter, the dog
was a  rock...had too many dogs to count stalked, plenty by GSD judges, had
leashes  taken away from handlers....these AREN'T ALL all-rounders....so until
we can  train judges how to do an in ring temperament evaluation correctly,
I will  continue to PROOF dogs for whatever might (real WILL) happen.

I've done it for the performance dogs and I will continue to do it w/ the
youngsters to be shown in the breed ring.

(Children are excellent at proofing dogs BTW...hanging around w/ children
IMO makes them bomb proof.)

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 11/22/2009 3:10:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dan-ann@xxxxxxxx writes:

I t  would seem to me that it is the owners and exhibitors of German
Shepherds  who could use some temperament modification. Over all there
seems
to be  improvement on the inside of the ring but out side of the ring the
audiences seems to be a bit sharp, aggressive and definitely close to
being
labeled dangerous

It seems as though the fun has gone out of  showing dogs for a lot of
people
and now they are focused only on winning  at any cost and do not care about
hurting others- a real  shame

Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org