[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: New Pennsylvania Dog Legislation  Wil...

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:43:49 EDT

I forwarded the proposed legislation last week Stormy but I am happy to do
it again:

_http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol36/36-50/2452.html_
(http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol36/36-50/2452.html)

I can't clarify any of the points in Yate's most recent piece because he
doesn't make any "points".  It's all puff.

But, here's the reason we need changes and the "just enforce what's there'
rhetoric isn't a solution. This a  simplified version, but those kennels  that
fall under federal inspection have been virtually untouchable by state and
local authorities and when they DO step in their case falls apart in  court.
In
other words, the current law is full of loopholes and the  conditions you saw
recently on the Oprah show are very real and will continue to  exist without
a better written state law.

The federation has a member on the Dog Law Advisory Board and changes have
been made to numerous drafts, all for the better, all protect the hobby
breeder.  (AND if you are going over the number in the definitions, it aint a
hobby!)

It isn't helpful when someone of Yate's ilk writes a alarmist piece using
outdated language in an attempt to raise donations.  It isn't helpful when
this
nonsense is passed along as Gospel, even AFTER the current draft has been
provided proving Yate's diatribe is full off....nonsense.  It's laughable  when
an article like the one Ginger forwarded last week, citing the opinions of  a
pit and cane corso breeder living in a row home in Philadelphia were
published.  Or it would be laughable if there weren't a lot of people that
read it
and took it as Gospel.  Oh yeah, there was a raid on a home w/ 30+  pits
yesterday in Kensington (a neighborhood in Philadelphia).  Good.   The dogs
were in
horrible condition and if you aren't familiar w/ Kensington,  the row homes are
3 story and about 15 feet wise. Nobody moves to Kensington  because they want
to live there.  If they were in the county and had a UDSA  license, the
authorities, under current law, couldn't have done that.   Remember the
cavalier
breeder in an upscale suburb that hit the news a few years  back?  Deplorable
conditions. It took OVER THREE YEARS for the local  authorities to shut down
that particular organization.

I can't/won't speak for everyone in PA, but from where I sit, for those who
want to forward a bunch of stuff, a little fact checking beforehand would be
appreciated.  Realize that when you forward a bunch of junk, you diminish
your credibility which only diminishes you efforts when there really IS
something to be alarmed about.  Worse, Yate's followers are (justifiably  IMO)
looked
upon as "fanatics" and that spills over to those who ARE making  progress,
getting changes through, who took the time to understand the problem  and
realize
there is a need for better legislation.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 4/19/2008 9:24:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:

If Yates  is wrong, if he is muddled, then clarification of his points would
be  welcome.

listings at AOL Autos.