[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [SHOWGSD-L] Re: Let's all get real

  • From: Liane M Fossland <lfossland@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tekgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:02:27 -0700

As a mother of 2 boys and one girl I have seen each of them develop in a
different way and encouraged them to strive to do the best they are able
to within the framework they have chosen.
I do the same with my puppies. Within weeks you can see how very
different they can be from each other and you can actually see the
potential they have for certain things. When you meet new buyers you can
just about tell which of the puppies may be best for them. So, to say
that they should be able to do it all is in my opinion a little
overrated. You should have to look for the POTENTIAL in each puppy or in
a grown dog.
Why put a dog in the show ring if he really does not like it?
Why train for Schutzhund if he does not like to hit the sleeve?
Why make him run after sheep if he hates them?
Why make him jump hurdles if he'd rather walk around them?
But I'm sure he'd like one or two of those things. Julie chose the dogs
for the performances she preferred. This way she never had to worry about
them not liking it or not being able to follow through with it. Smart
lady. JMO.
Lee

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:38:35 +0000 <tekgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I don't think we should expect EVERY single puppy to be able to "do
> it all"....I think the point here is that it is what we should
> STRIVE for in our breeding program.  It doesn't mean that it will be
> achieved with every puppy or every breeding.....but we breed to
> improve the breed and the breed's purpose.  So, as others said, one
> out of every other litter or so just may be able to "do it all";
> herding, tracking, otch, sch, etc, etc.  This may be the
> exception....but it is what we (IMHO) strive for.
>
> Conformation is to judge the total package ...structure,
> temperament, health, etc.- but it has it's limits (doesn't show
> things about the dog that other events do)...  Obedience judges the
> dog's intelligence, agility assesses the dog's physical ability,
> herding shows the dog's natural instincts, and shutzhund displays
> the breeds versatility to be a protector/police dog/SAR/etc, etc.
> And all of the above judge how well the dog works with & responds to
> it's owner/handler.
>
> I think the ideal dog should have a little of everything...balance.
> Sort of like the Miss America pageant...they are pretty, but they
> are also supposed to be in good shape, smart, good citizens, goal
> oriented, a benefit to our society, etc, etc.  Not all people are
> able to be a doctor and a professional athlete....but wouldn't that
> be ideal?
>
> It would sure be cool anyway....then I would not only be a computer
> geek, but also love exercise instead of avoiding it like the plague,
> and be in great shape.
>
> Just my humble opinion & 2 cents worth...  ;)

> I have to agree with you Syd ---- it's no different in humans.
> The boy
> who grows up to be a Hockey Super Star could
> possibly NEVER be a Doctor,  and the girl who grows up to be an
> excellent
> School Teacher could possibly NEVER be
> a Balet Dancer.
>
> Why should we expect our dogs to do it all.    Just because we
> happen to
> have the most versatile breed, still doesn't
> mean that each and every puppy born will be capable of doing ALL the
> things
> that the German Shepherd breed is
> known for.    Doubt if you would ever see an Assistance Dog/ Guide
> Dog/
> Search & Rescue Dog,   doing Schutzhund!!!
>
> Now hopefully I won't have someone telling me that a Champion can
> also be
> Obedience titled and/or have a Tracking
> Degree ----- of course they can ---- I've had them, but I doubt that
> I will
> have them today as my body isn't co-operating
> well enough anymore.    That doesn't mean that my dogs are now
> incapable of
> doing it!
>
> Sylvia
> Crystaridge German Shepherds
> http://www.geocities.com/crystaridgegsd/

===
> POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the
> original author  AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS
> RESERVED.
>
> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE
> IN ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
> EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST
>
> For assistance, please contact the List Management at
> admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

===

Liane (Lee) Fossland
Steppenwind German Shepherds
Home of Ch. Donar, Loni, CD,  Auburn & KaraMia
www.steppenwindgsd.com