[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ]  RATTLESNAKE NEXT DOOR--HELP !!!!!

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:49:07 EDT

I grew up in Snake Country, Northern California and had a few close calls
with a way too friendly rattler.   My Dad was one of those that always had to
rifle on the rifle rack in the pick-up.   Twice he shot a rattler out from
under
my feet, not more that 2 feet away and coiled.   And each time, I didn't even
know it was there!
Our house up at the ranch was not a finished town house, and the "bathroom"
had spaces between the boards.   My mother saw a rattler going by while she
was, ummmm, indisposed, grabbed a crowbar and nailed him.    But what then?
She
finally had to let go, but my Dad got the big rattler later in the evening,
crushed middle and all.

Dog related,   when dogs were bitten by a rattler, they would disappear for
over a day, (us searching madly for them, as we were "up" at the ranch for a
weekend, rather than "down" at the town ranch).   They would show up with blue
clay from one spring or another all over them.   healthy and hungry.

We learned to live with them, shoot them when we saw them, listen for the
telltale rattle, and be especially carefully dawn and dusk.

Stormy Hope
Colorado
In a message dated 5/30/05 11:18:02 AM, dfritsche@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> We have far too much property and the snakes, I suspect do not
> just come to us, but probably live with us.

www.FairhopeGSD.com