[ SHOWGSD-L ] [SHOWGSD-L] Purpose of Dog shows and grooming??

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: adonispersian@xxxxxxx, erynbrook@xxxxxxx, blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx, texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

I love your email....LOL......as a professional groomer, I totally
sympathize with your observations.

A couple of years ago I was judging in Hawaii, and after the show we did an
 educational program in.....wait for it....grooming!!  One of the club
members offered the used of their table, another offered a dog, one that had
not  been entered that day and had not been groomed. I was offered all kinds
of  grooming tools and products, and to their surprise, all I wanted was a
spray  bottle with clean water, and a greyhound comb.  I groomed half the
dog, accentuating angles, highlighting the good and covering the unflattering
areas.  You can ask any of those`attending, they couldn't believe their
eyes!

I love, love, love grooming products. Just attended Groom Expo at  Hershey,
PA, and spent a ton of money on grooming products and supplies. But  hardly
use much else on my GSD's besides a good clarifying shampoo, a spray
bottle with clean water, a brush and a comb.

Keep posting!

* Ileana  *
Love me, love my dogs.

In a message dated 9/28/2012 12:26:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
adonispersian@xxxxxxx writes:

HI, My  name is Angela Scott--and I have been involved in my AKC-GSDCA
adventure for  about 18 months...I have a Kridlers bitch--Addie and a Peakes
Brook male (CH  Woodside X CH Darby Dan) Gavin...I live in Alabama but
originally came from  Eastern side of Washington state.  I guess I got my
grooming
chops then  from grooming my black Angus cattle which they have been doing
since I was  doing it at 15 years oldto about 20 when I sold my cattle (in
1975!!)   the only change now is they dont use black spray paint (krylon flat
black  worked well) and also they use something else for the crest on the
back  tail..we even used the black spray paint in ratting the tail switch into
a  nice round ball....my ranch name was Triple AAA Angus....lol...but I only
had  a couple 3-4 show cattle...mostly bulls after getting my heifer...who
cost me  my whole year of working at the tune of $950 bucks...Mr Stewart
Anderson of  the Black Angus Restaurants even offered to buy my bull calf who
was 4 months  old
and not a Day...he got reserve Grand Champion behind the 2 year old
bull...in the OPEN class with the big shots....then we weighed him and he was
500
pounds and 4 mo.... MAking this dog related--I didnt realize we have to or
HAD to groom the shepherds like that until my first AB show last weekend
with  Addie...WOW alot of hair product being used...and you can't kid a kidder
about  scissoring a dog...used to do that with my Persians in CFA and the
Angus  cattle as a kid....but I being ignorant and eager to learn asked...how
they  did that...they denied it was cut in any way...haha...okay...so today
I went  out and bought about half the product I think I might need to groom
Addie for  the next show...pulled out the grooming products I thought I
didnt need out of  my Persian box...and then ordered a few more...to fill my
arsenol...so poor  Addie and soon Gavin will have to get their hair styled and
messed with until  it looks as good as what I saw last weekend...I thought
I had a big en
ough  tack box for my 2 dogs...but maybe I need to get one the size of my
cattle  box....lol...good thing I have my Metro blaster and Oster table dryer
from  showing the fluff balls in CFA!!  Oh, I forgot to thank you all for
letting me join this list...I love the feel here...Pat Robinson has been
such  a warm and friendly person...and of course the breeders of my 2
dogs...thank  you for such a nice start!!  Angela Scott

Angela  Scott

> From: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012  20:41:47 -0400
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Purpose of Dog shows
>  To: blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx; texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx
> CC:  showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> More than 15 years ago my blow dryer  broke right before a show. I called
> friend of mine and  borrowed his because they weren't showing the cattle
> that   week-end. They use the exact same dryers that most all of us used
in the
> late 90s.
>
> Susan Casey
> Front Range  German Shepherd Rescue
> Erynbrook  German Shepherds
>
> In a message dated 9/27/2012 4:53:59 P.M. Mountain  Daylight Time,
> blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> I would  agree, but if you have seen a pedigree/progeny photos/  stud fee
> listed in  the regular "dog rags" such as Canine  Chronicle, Dogs in
Review,
> or Dog  News.
> Moreover, have  you been to a county fair and watched Beef cattle  judging
>  lately? Lots of grooming, sculpting, fluffing, gluing and   coloring.  I
was
> amazed. They are better than poodle people..  The  judges, will RARELY put
> their hands on them and with a  good  clippering/blending job, those
cattle
> can look really  muscled. They even  fly people in just to groom.
(anything
> with a  fluff dryer and an animal  fascinates me).
>
> Showing dogs  and campaigning them is one thing,  breeding them is
something
>  totally  different.
>

> Mike
>

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM,  Diane Brantley  <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I believe  tha t  the evaluation of breeding stock was the historical
> >  purpose of dog  shows in the beginning. ASCA has classes for  altered
> animals.

===========================================================================>
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the
> original  author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS  or
FORWARDS of
> any kind  are permitted without prior permission  of the original author
AND of
> the  Showgsd-l Management. ALL  RIGHTS RESERVED.
>
> Each Author is responsible  for the  content of his/her post.  This group
> and its administrators  are  not responsible for the comments or opinions
> expressed in  any post.
>
> ALL  PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE  FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY
> MANNER  OF ANY MATERIAL  WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
> PERMISSION OF   ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
EXPRESSLY
>  FORBIDDEN, AND IS  A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION
WILL  BE

===========================================================================>

===========================================================================>
POST is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the
of  any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author
AND of  the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

> Each Author  is responsible for the content of his/her post.  This group
and its  administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in  any post.

> ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING,  REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L  WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST  MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF  THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.

> For assistance, please  contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org
> NATIONAL BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.