[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SHOW ENTRIES... SAD....

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:16:38 -0700

HI DD
Hope you are doing great!
While I whole heartedly agree with you on the best handlers generally
getting the best dogs (that is a given, for the most part)  I am talking
about the obviousness of some individuals and clubs in judge selection,
judging, "you scratch my back" , etc.   It becomes disheartening for even
the most experienced and show saavy owner/breeder and even some
handlers.  It's not the blame game anymore, not when you have even top
handlers in the country that are fed up.   We (collective we) watch it
happen here in the West, and from what I gather
it is a problem elsewhere, too.   Now dogshows aren't unique, anywhere you
have subjective opinion, this can happen.  My brother used to show cars, and
although he was one of the best in the US, (he owned a Shelby
Cobra...awesome) the politics would happen there too!  Amazing.
On the up side, people CAN do something about it.  I think the Ohio Valley
shows are a good example...stop supporting clubs that do this, judges that
do this, handlers , owners , breeders (kind of like the nursery rhyme "There
was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, lol)  but you get my point.

Also there are many clubs that DO try hard to get great judges, and they
should be applauded, and rewarded with entries.   Same with judges that just
judge dogs.....REWARD THAT .    It will take people banding together
to support, or not clubs, judges, etc etc  with a track record of game
playing to put an end to it, or to curtail it.
It also is going to take people getting together to support and reward the
great clubs the great judges to send a strong message.

I am not insinuating that gamesmanship goes on everywhere all the time,
usually it does not (one hopes) but it
is going on frequently enough that people are not longer talking about it in
hushed tones, and behind doors....they are openly discussing it, and its
effect.   Sometimes you have to bring things out in the the bright light of
day, you know?
Have a great weekend  :-)
Kathy Tank