[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SHOW ENTRIES... SAD....

  • From: "Kathy Tank" <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rikers123@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:49:07 -0700

Denise and Friends
Diminishing entries ARE sad.  There  are several factors: and this is only
an opinion...
People are fed up with bad judging, whether it is a real lack of knowledge
of the breed, or as in some cases an obvious slant toward Club directors, or
members or a certain "highly visible handler" or some favors owed,  what
have you.   Bad judging is the ultimate entry killer....so too,  the clubs
that support and encourage same. Many clubs are actually known for the games
they play...and lo and behold, they seldom prove differently.   The only way
to get the point across is to boycott clubs that run games, judges that do
the same.  It is KILLING our sport.
Cost:  nothing is free and in dogshows, it is sometime exhorbitant.  From
escalating entry fees, to the cost just to GET there, hotels, handling, (and
as the wife of a handler, you know I say this advisedly)  advertising is
huge.....and compound that with the aforementioned....many feel,
"What other things could I be spending this money on?"
When a handler/breeder/judge/owner seem to dominate an area for months or
even years, with good dogs, that is fine but with sometimes...pure crap????
Well, they drive away entries.....people get fed up, they leave, and clubs
entries go into the pooper scooper.
Part of the problem that we see out here in the West is the OVERUSE of
judges in the SW area, that have already judged here very recently....talk
about entry kill.
We would much rather give a provisional a try than the same judge over, and
over , and over.   The outcome is too predictable.....the expense too great.
Owners fed up, they don't enter,or they go elsewhere.  Who can blame them?
I feel for the Ohio Valley area, I have heard the lametations of people
there about the obviousness of some of the winning there...the pointlessness
of entering. not unlike going for the Breed at Eukanuba for example,  over
the last several years....kidding right?  Hope for BOS and RUN ....it will
not get better until the sport cleanses itself, and stops the favors, some
of the intimidation, and  the "cheaty points" the Look the other way......
it is happening everywhere...from puppy matches to the highest level of our
conformation shows, in every region of the country.
The real shame of it is , is that some damn nice dogs, and terrific people,
including interested newcomers  are getting the shaft, in the
process.....really doesn't help the breed , does it??
The only solice is that there ARE good judges, there ARE honest handlers and
owners, and clubs...it is up to the greater show population to decipher the
disagreeable patterns and to withhold entries until the offending judges,
handlers or clubs finally GET IT.

Oh well.....whatever do I know?
Kathy Tank