[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SEIZURE - EPILEPSY QUESTION-NEED INFO

  • From: "dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:57:30 GMT

Having recently faced the seizure issue I have done as much reading and
research as is humanly possible.  Unfortunately with epilepsy (human or canine)
there isn't much that can be done.

With Canine epilepsy it's diagnosed as epilepsy when all other causes have been
ruled out.  The general theory is that if the dog is under 1 yr then seizures
are probably trauma related (stepped on in whelping box, injury from other
things) or a possible developmental issue.  If the dog is over 3 to 5 yrs of
age they start looking for tumors, cancer etc.  When the dog is between 1 to 3
the only real tests that can be done are blood work to determine if there is
possibly any other cause.  Toxicology tests if there is a possibility the dog
got into something.  Complete Thyroid panel, liver function tests (normally
done before phenobarb is given).  It is believed that if the seizures start in
that age group it's probably inherited epilepsy.

They don't know for sure how it's inherited, some believe it's an auto-somal
recessive gene.

The dog may only have one seizure in his life time, it can progress to a few
seizures all the way to constant grand mal seizures.  There are also various
types of seizures.  Sometimes they can be maintained on phenobarbital sometimes
they have break through seizures and phenobarb doesn't hold them.  Our vet has
had success treating milder seizures with accupuncture, prior to ever giving
phenobarb.

It's a horrible disease, one that we should put more research into.  A doctor
who has done some research says he believes the money should be spent on canine
research because of the linebreeding/inbreeding it would be easier to track the
heritability than in humans.

Have your friend email me if they would like.  I'm more than happy to share any
info I have.
Dee Lauffer