[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SAR prospect and color --

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdramey@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

Norma - I can't speak from experience when it comes to evaluating SAR's dog,
but having bred one, this is what I know.  The prospective buyer was looking
for a puppy that first and foremost, would be the family pet (ie not bouncing
off the walls when she wasn't working).  He wanted a female.  He wanted an
outgoing friendly dog.  He wanted something with some drive and intelligence.
He wanted American Lines.

  He put money down then and there.....he picked her up at 10 weeks.  He
completed basic obedience by 8 months...advanced obedience by 12 months.  Here
is where it gets fuzzy for me but I believe he immediately applied to SAR's and
was accepted as a team in training, I assume after she was tested which would
have been around a year old.

  At two years, 11 months - Cinosam's Black Olive became Wilderness Airscent
certified.
  Here is their link - www.minnsarda.com/meet_teams/Loren_Olive.htm

  Last year, he brought out a SAR's team member to look at another litter of  7
week old puppies of mine.  She wasn't necessarily interested in a GSD, but
there was one puppy that caught her eye.  She was a bi bitch that would
actually retreive a rolled up piece of paper over and over again for her.
Unfortunately for her she was my pick bitch (not for sale) who later that year
finished 4th in her class at the Nationals.

  I get the impression that a healthy, sound, outgoing, intelligent puppy is
the foundation for a good SAR's dog, but true evaluation doesn't begin until
after the dog is a year old.

  Cindy
  cinosamgsd.com
Norma Ramey <gsdramey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Just curious here on this post -- Why would someone wait until the dog was
over a year of age to test for search and rescue anyway? Training, and I know
as I've had SAR dogs as well as other kinds of working animals, is something
checked on and begun much earlier if I remember correctly. Norma no L

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com