[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: SAD NEWS

  • From: Joan Fox <campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have to chime in here with misty eyes and a story about Paul Newman.

Some of you know he had family here in Cleveland and visited often. He was very
close to his brother.

Anyway, years ago I was flying out of LA after judging a dog show and got lucky
with an upgrade to first class.
I take my seat and glance over at the gentleman in the window seat and got all
fluttery.... it was Paul Newman!
He saw me look so I said "good evening" and smiled and he returned the smile
and said "good evening to you".
About this point the stewardess came by and asked if we would like anything. I
ordered a glass of Chardonnay and he ordered a dry Stoli martini on the rocks.
I looked at the stewardess and said " and put that on my tab!" He started
laughing and we talked almost all the way to Cleveland. It was a conversation
about his ideals with his charities, his wife, his family, his wife, his dogs,
his wife, his movies, etc.

When we landed and as we were walking to baggage together I asked if he knew
where the limo door was as they had recently moved it. He said"since this was a
surprise, last minute trip, he had not gotten a limo ordered. So I offered him
a ride.

We get to the escalator to go down to baggage and he says and I have no
suitcase either". About this point, I see my husband Murray at the foot of the
escalotor ( remember when people could do this?) a big smile and then he
glances over to see my escort who at this point has taken my hand to guide me
off the escalator...... the smile fades a bit. Murray then recovers and says "
Hello, Mr. Newman. I must say you are the most famous man my wife has ever
picked up on a plane!"  We all bust out laughing and they shake hands.
We left him off in Shaker Heights at his brothers home and got I got a big
hug.  Btw... he was shorter than me.  But those eyes were as amazing in person
as on the screen.

I still smile when I think of what a sincere, down to earth, delightful man he
was. His wife Joanne Woodward was a very lucky woman!

Joan