[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Running with the Big Dogs

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:01:10 -0800 (PST)

I think you are right about the show game/business. The answer many of us are
opting for is finding other venues for enjoying our dogs - be it herding or
tracking or agility or flyball or what have you. Those of us who elect to keep
the emphasis on our DOGS and the partnership with our dogs have many outlets.
And that, in short, is why the shows/futurities keep getting smaller and
smaller. Not that fewer people are active with their dogs, just that they elect
not to deal with the business of conformation showing. It should not be
necessary to have a group of owners to afford the
training/conditioning/handling/grooming/advertising needed to be successful
regardless of quality of dog. It used to take a a good dog and an owner willing
to do the work to get the dog ready.
So while the C course ewes are lambing, I go tracking. (still get wet but no
wet
sheep to deal with) And if it is too wet for that I watch dogs I bred compete
in
agility with their owners instead of watching them in the conformation ring.
Makes me very happy.

Ruth