[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Room for our Standard.

  • From: "Stormy V. Hope" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 22:31:57 -0800

Theresa, there is a really simple solution for those dogs that don't approach
the standard when there are so few in the classes…. Withhold the ribbons.

I have heard, (so probably true <G>) that AKC frowns upon withholding ribbons,
but then we get into a whole different level of discussion.

Stormy

On Jan 26, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm
<scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 1/27/13, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can't argue that point...<G>....but to solve it do you think we should have
a class for sound temperament and a class for insecure dogs that barely
stand?

*** Not at all they should never place but do see this happen.***

Should we have a class for long backs..( because they CAN be shown in
regular
classes with correct length ) ..and a class for normal length with nice
depth?

*** No, This is my point they do place since there are only a few in the
GSD's class.***

Masculine head class vs. lacking in masculinity class?
Isn't that WHAT the Standard is about?   To abide by...to sort out our
litters
and to utilize when we enter a show and let the judge honestly and
judiciously
sort them out according to the Standard?

*Yes, but with so few of GSD's in a class how does the judge avoid
not placing them?*

Of course there is no perfect dog....you can always find a fault...but to
actually break it down into classes is just taking up time at a show.  That
is the judge's job.  ( much like our standard....not all do it well.. ) <G>

***No there is no such thing as a perfect dog, but unless more people
get out and show their GSD's the incorrect ones will continue to win.***

I see MAINLY conformation GSD's herding..and most do it very well. Those
that
do not have the strength of back and some nice angulation do tire ..and some

tire out mentally as well. Neither is correct, but making extra classes is
just making extra excuses.

The most important thing in competing in Conformation is to spend as much
time
faulting our own lines and dogs as we do faulting others.... then we do
well.

***I agree!!!!***
Theresa