[ SHOWGSD-L ] Risking My Life!!!

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 00:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

This past weekend i did what only "crazy" dog people would do. I'm sure some of
you can identify.
We have been planning to have a High School Graduation for my son on Sunday,
June 8th from 4 to 7 pm. We had invited about 100 friends, were having it all
catered,my wife was going all out, this was going to be a big deal.
 Ofcourse this once in a lifetime event had to co-incide with GSD specialities
this weekend in Southern California, i told them of my son's graduation party
and they refused to change the date of the shows, these clubs are really so
inflexible!!!!
 Well about two weeks ago at the risk of losing my life i told my wife this. So
you can guess the reaction, WHAT!!!! you are planning to go to a STUPID DOG
SHOW at the expense of missing our Son's Graduation party, have you lost your
mind!!! &*%%%$$$, you can guess the rest!!!!
Well ofcourse as cunning and extremely creative dog handler i had already
figured that i could "Have my cake and eat it too". So firstly step was to
be an extremely cooperative, understanding and thoughtful husband for the last
two weeks!!!!  I never fixed so many things and did as many "honey do's" in my
life.
Next i gently told my wife, when she was half asleep and could not reach any
sharp objects that i planned to take off from work on Friday, so i could help
with the Party stuff, fly to So. Cal on Saturday morning, show on Saturday and
i would only show in the morning Sunday and fly back on the 12:50 flight on
Sunday morning in time to help her with the last minute Party items like
getting ice etc etc. What a perfect plan, you can all understand my great logic
right!!!!!!!
Well she agreed, although reminding me every hour or so how she was not really
happy about the plan, at which point i looked for something to fix!!!
So all went very well, i went to So. Cal. My open bitch won two majors, my
12-18 dog went RWD and things were working out fantastic. The show on Sunday
finished early and i got a lift to the Airport and so i thought i pulled it
off!!!! I could see the headlines "Bill Basu proves you can have your cake and
eat it too".
NOT SO FAST!!!!!!
Well, folks don't every count on the Airlines to get you out of jam. I go to
the Airport and i see that my 12:50 flight has been delayed to 1:40. As i
calmly removed my heart from my throat, my first thought was to call Evan and
see what he would charge me for my divorce proceedings, but then i figured he
would most probably decide to represent my wife and take me to the cleaners.
So plan two was to find another flight. Ofcourse there were none to San Jose,
so i found flight to Oakland that was taking off in 10 minutes. Needless to say
all of you that have been seeing me limp around the show ring on my bad knee,
would not have recognized me as ran like a gazelle thru the airport.  I caught
the flight, got to Oakland and took a $120 cab ride to San Jose to arrive at
the party at the time i said i would.
Phew!!! another weekend of successfully managing dog shows and family life. My
son's party was great, we had a great time. Life is funny, if i had come to the
Airport 10 minutes later i would be staring at Evan across the aisle in divorce
court. Life really does balance on shoestring!!!!!
Now, please don't tell my clients as i could possible charge them for the $120
cab ride!!!!! Just Kidding!!!!
Thanks for indulging me with my little tale of risking life and limb.
Bill