[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ringer needs help PLEASE!!!

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 19:35:47 GMT

Ringer is 12-1/2 years old.
For over a year he's been treated for "polyneuropathy of old age",
"intervertebral disc disease causing compression on the spinal cord - T2, T13,
L1" and "dynamic cervical spondylomyelopathy C4, C5, and C6".   In addition to
hydrotherapy, bowen threapy, and accupuncture, he's been taking both
conventional, traditional Chinese and homeopathic medications in addition to
Tramadol and Metacam for pain.

He has been slowly losing the battle and is getting weaker in the rear but has
a lot of good days, plays with toys, loves to steal Mac's balls, "races" in
slow motion around the yard, fence fights with the dogs next door, etc.

He was hospitalized with pneumonia last June.

Friday he didn't eat most of his breakfast, a sure sign he was sick.  He was
weak, lethargic and had labored breathing.  I took him up to my vet where
x-rays confirmed he had either pneumonia or a lung disease of some type.  His
temperature was 104.9.  He was put on IV's, cirpo, amoxicillin, and
theophylline.  He had not eaten nor had anything to drink while hospitalized.
I picked him up Saturday afternoon since my vet only has someone on duty for
four hours on Sunday.

He was extremely weak, his temperature was 103.7.  I couldn entice him to eat
or drink anything (even his favorite - a McD's double cheeseburge was ignored)
so after a couple hours at home I thought it best to take him over to our local
ER.  I had to lift him into the van.

When we got to the ER, his temperature was 102, his heart was racing, fast
respiration.  He was so weak I needed help getting him out of the van, but he
walked into the ER on his own.

The ER doctor called his vet and they agreed to take him off the theophylline.
He was put back on IV's.

I went to visit him today and take his other meds over and some chicken broth.
His temperature was 101 and his heart rate, respiration, pulse were all normal.
 He was so weak he needed a sling to help him walk.  He refused all food and
water the techs had tried to give him earlier.  I asked the tech to try him on
baby food - rubbing some on his top gum in hopes would stimulate his appitite
(this has helped other recouperating Hooligans over the years).

IMHO there may be something else going on in addition to the pneumonia and
other problems mentioned above.  I'm going to call the ER and ask if they can
take an abdominal x-ray just in case there is a problem with his stomach or
spleen.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be gladly accepted.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums
Surf a world without wires. Click now for great wireless Internet solutions!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4tBD2ffcblqNbpYWdwQ6RSmMlKzzj1VGtWkaJdLM9XstP4Mu/