[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rights and Wrong and in between

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:43:36 -0400 (EDT)

I used to think that, was fond of saying if a "bad" wasn't there, doubling
up wasn't going to put it there, and in some cases, with certain "bads"
that's  absolutely true BUT...now I know better.

Continuous line or inbreeding wrecks havoc w/ the immune system.  You
start to see immune mediated diseases that weren't there in the original
pedigrees, not to mention fertility problems, smaller litters, less thrifty
puppies etc., (there is actually a name for it...inbreeding depression),
overall
"poor doers".  You see coat issues, chronic ear infections, allergies,
digestive issues, food absorption issues and so forth.

It's actually getting a little silly.  Heard of someone bragging about  a
litter being 3x so and so on 1 side, 2x (another) so and so on the other
side...well, father of the 3x dog (dead at 8 BTW) AND the 2 dogs
trippled/doubled up on are also related...guess they didn't look back far
enough  to
realize....want a puppy?

Not to say I won't do a close breeding but I am very aware just HOW related
 the dogs are.

I agreed with everything else you said Carolyn.  Sick of folks  condemning
breeders for wanting structurally correct "pretty" dogs.  There  isn't a
link between butt ugly and healthy.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 6/28/2013 2:36:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Line  breeding OR inbreeding does NOT cause 'problem' genes to develop.
IF you are inbreeding and the problem is not there..inbreeding  cannot
CAUSE the problem!   You won't 'create' a  problem with an inbreeding.
The problem has to already  be there.