[ SHOWGSD-L ] Right is always right

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:18:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2009 9:20:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I fail  to see why this is even an ISSUE. Anyone can see a dog at a Show,
and try to  purchase that dog, whether a  Judge, Handler, Breeder or fancier.
And I'm  sure many do - I'm also sure that any of the above said people are
going to  Purchase  a dog  meeting THEIR criteria of a "GREAT GSD". So what
is  the PROBELEM?

Maybe no one wants to say so, but the accusation is that the person, a
judge, only put up the dog, because they had arranged to buy him. Or, that they
 planned to buy the dog, and enhance the reputation of the animal with the
win  before the purchase.

This is as foolish as the four month rule.  I was thinking about this  last
night, (thinking is always dangerous for me), and realized at a show I was
to judge, I would have to get out my calendar and make sure that I had not
used  a handler for four months prior to the show, if that handler was going
to show  to me.  I don't know if that is by days, (what about a 31 day
month, or if  there is a February in there, do you have to count extra days?)
or
just by  date?  What if I had prepared a will for that handler, or the
handler's  wife, mother, or daughter?  What if I had represented her son in a
drunk  driving class within four months, or sold her an old television?

I can imagine if I judged an entry that The Guz handled, I would have to
make sure 120 days have gone by, (I don't think he has shown for me for that
long), and ignore the 35 years that he handled my dogs. I would ignore the
long  friendship I had with him and the times I met with his family and was
at his  home or he at mine. I would forget the jokes and stories we have
exchanged, and  the time he stayed with Tedi and I at the national before his
room was  ready.  It would be fine, so long as 120 days had passed.  That
would  make me an honest man, and I could judge his dog, honestly at that time,
but not  before.

In truth, there are a few people who won't show under me, or who I won't
enter under. It is not ethics, honesty, or concern about politics. It is just
 plain courtesy.  Or, they have a good idea of what I like, and don't
believe they have that dog.

Yesterday I was talking to Twyla about this. We agreed there is little
politics in judging, (she thinks there is more than I do), but weakness in
judging where a judge is intimidated by a handler or owner. Perhaps this is the
 problem, and no time limits will cure it.

All we can do is accept the rules, try to abide by them, and enjoy our
sport. Instead of taking so much energy to grasp the violations, let's take
more  time to recognize the dedication and time judges donate to help us have
fun with  our dogs.  You can, if you look hard enough, find a contact with
any winner  and any judge.  That does not make it a crooked win.  It just
makes  you a clever person.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/