[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rick Santorum, PA

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: CYNECAGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx, stormygsd@xxxxxxx, hsrsh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:15:47 EDT

In a message dated 6/2/2005 12:01:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CYNECAGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Breeding and raising dogs without respect to the animal's
welfare  guarantees bad results for the unknowing owner, and for the health
of the  dog and her puppies."

I clipped a portion of the quote.  It's nice to know Rick owns a GSD,  but
you really can't disagree with the quote.  He's getting a lot of  pressure due
to the Lancaster (PA) puppy mills and the solution seems to be  tightening the
rules.  It sounds as though those who object to his bill  have a problem with
the  number "7" (as in litters where  mandated  licensing/ possible
inspection) would occur.
***************************
"PAWS calls for regulation of large commercial breeders who sell directly  to
the public and does not affect hobby breeders or dog and cat fanciers. The
legislation would require a USDA license for breeders who breed seven or more
litters of dogs or cats per year. In addition, this broad ranging legislation
would cover importers, Internet sellers and other non-breeder dealers who
sell  more than 25 dogs or cats per year, strengthen USDA's enforcement
authority, and  assure USDA access to source records of persons who acquire
dogs for
resale.  Finally, PAWS expands the USDA's authority to seek injunctions against

unlicensed dog and cat dealers."
***************************

I don't have a problem with the number 7.  If there's more than 7  litters
per year, face it, it's not a "hobby" but a job and a half  <G>.  I understand
the "nose under the tent argument", but FYI,  in PA now, anyone who
keeps/harbors/sells 25 dogs a year or more has to obtain a  kennel license.
How do you
count dogs?  Any dog who you own/co-own, +  the number of puppies whelped that
year (not just over a certain age, but  puppies whelped) +  any dog you kept
on your property (say, a bitch in to  be bred).  At # 25, you are subject to
inspections and fines for every day  you DON'T have a kennel license.  That's a
whole lot less than "7" GSD  litters. Dogs can be removed.  I know Virginia
has raised a concern re the  above bill re the loss of due process; I don't
know
about other states, but in  PA there is no "due process" where a living thing
(child, animal) is concerned ~  they remove first (out of what is or could be
a bad situation) ask questions  later.  Knowing this, I'd have to figure if
you had 6 litters a year, in  PA, you are already regulated and subject to
inspections.  Actually 2-3 GSD  litters, a few house dogs and an occasional
bitch
in to be bred will more than  likely put you above that #. Maybe it's not that
way in other states  though...AND that's providing your
township/borough/municipality allows you to  get to that number, which,
frankly, most don't.

Maybe this will explain why to someone living in PA, (Rick Santorum)
licensing/regulation at 7 litters doesn't  seem like a big deal  since
licensing is
taking place for state residents way before then  anyway.

Kathy
three generations of Champions live  here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_