[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ribs & the descending point scale

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Celeste'" <cherpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:02:45 -0700

GOOD POINT! If you want to discuss it over one of your BBQ's you would
probably win us all over.
( but I still take great joy in winning a 4 or 5 pt. MAJOR! ) Yet....with
RIBS it could be even better!
Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Subject: Re: The descending point scale
I love this list, but it's going to cause me to screw up my practice cook! If
today a major is say 5 points for 15 bitches... And let's say next year a 5
point major for bitches is 10 ...Guess what! THAT IS LOWERING THE BAR!... And
next thing Ya know the bar is so low it's laying on the ground! There is
nothing special about majors and minors! It's the same dogs at both shows! Am I
the only one who sees this? If you set the BAR and leave it there ,the STANDARD
remains the same! Okay gotta check my pits... FB

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

From: Carolyn Martello
To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, Celeste
I'm not sure of the reason in the world of show dogs to take away majors?
What is the point? There are so many Breeds that we don't even think about
as we only see things from the GSD angle; but I don't see how it will affect
the changes and shift in numbers going on in entries in the world of dog shows
and Champions to just one day say we don't need to win majors?
As society changes...so goes the dog shows. Can't change that...and lowering
the bar never helps IMO.
I DO think AKC should set a limit of what a 5 pt. major should be...even if it
IS in Alaska. Maybe at least ten dogs or something to that affect? We too
have finished a couple of dogs in Canada when we were interested in showing at
the Canadian National...and just like here...we won FIVE points at one show
each time. It isn't CALLED a major...but the size of the entry was definitely
equal to five points here. Their point system is similar I think, but they
just don't NEED to win majors. You have to win under three different judges
which we pretty much do here also.
With the majors not necessary...technically it would seem you can go
to 15 shows and finish just about anything by entering another dog of your own.
<G> Where is the good in that if it does happen? Not sure that is
"good".....?
As Penny stated... FIRST our concern should be to maintain and improve the
quality of our dogs.
Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The descending point scale

Not if we had judges with Guts! I wanted to say balls but that also would have
been politically incorrect! Anyway the best judges are women! Oops that's
politically incorrect too! Point is if a dog is not worthy DO NOT Award
points! Adopt the Canadian rule which I believe calls for three different
judges and you must have at least one win of more than one point! I have one
Canadian Champion and it was NOT easy! I competed against some very very good
Canadian champions! It took me three trips to Canada to get my dogs
Championship! No chasing majors minors! I don't think the Canadians think it's
easy to finish a champion! I think it's easier now that we keep lowering the
points! It's like lowering the cost of a BMW! If you lower the cost low enough
everybody would have one..... Not that that's a bad idea!.... And NO I don't
have a BMW, I'm poor black and married! Lol. FB

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App