[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Return to Canine Discussions

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:10:00 -0500

    Boy, is that ever right!  Some years ago I was giving the German
Shepherd portion of a judges education weekend here in Virginia.  I
called Kevin Reynolds, who was living in Virginia at the time, and asked
him to round up some dogs to bring for the program.  He and Bonna P.
brought half a dozen dogs, including a Futurity winner...and those two
people kept those dogs moving all afternoon...two at a time.  The
would-be judges absorbed one thing that day that they'd never realized
before...that the one who comes in like gangbusters isn't always the one
who can still look good after a couple of warm up rounds...  it was an
eye opener for sure.
They got to see the difference between a dog that could really move out,
not racing, but calmly at the end of a loose lead, and one who just
pulled and tried to run ... and they could see reach, drive, follow
thru, and suspension...things most of them had no idea about until that
day.
    (I'm saying Jeff is right about the difference between dogs in the
all breed ring for 3 minutes and dogs who can gait for 15 or 20
minutes...nothing else)
peggy