[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Return to Canine Discussions

  • From: ANN SCHULTZ <edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Cudjoegsd <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:54:05 -0800 (PST)

Christine,  Gee, I agree with you. People so often mistake racing  for good
movement that there aren't many great movers out there any more. Some of our
handlers have this down to an art too. Horse races are exctiting and that's
what a lot of our shows have turned into. An outstanding  mover should float
across the ground like a well oiled machine with little or no effort, whether
he is going slow or fast.    Ann
<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  For me, as a breeder and a possible future
judge, if I felt that the breed
was headed in a direction where we were losing our side gait, I would
probably reward the dog that could side gait the best in hopes that he
would be bred to possibly correct the problem in our breed. On the flip
side, if we had many good side gaiting dogs, but seemed to be lacking in
the area of type, then I might( I stress the word "might") forgo side gait
a reward type as long as the side gait was adequate or above. In my
opinion, we currently have a great deal of type in dogs( males) but not
much in the area of movement.It is to the point where we might as well just
judge them standing and pick the most handsome dog stacked.Bitches are far
superior both in type and in motion. So in my opinion, at this time in the
breed, the pendulum needs to swing a bit back toward side gait.In a utopian
world, you would hope to find a dog that had it all, type, movement,
temperament. Perhaps this sounds inconsistent from a judging standpoint so
just to clarify, I am a movement person that likes handsome curvaceous dogs
and beautiful bitches.Temperament is an absolute must. In my opinion,.
"type" is not that difficult to correct in a breeding program, but once you
lose movement, it takes generations to repair the damage.Christine
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

evaluating a German Shepherd Dog is "Does it look like a German Shepherd,
does it act like a German Shepherd and does it gait like a German Shepherd?
I enjoy attending Dave`s seminars and learn something each time. For a
change of pace from the last thread on the List, I would like to ask the
following question:
> How would you evaluate/place a dog who looks and acts like a GS but is
faulty in gait against a dog that acts and gaits like a GS but in not as
typey as the first dog? Each one has two out of three of the main
characteristics of a GS but which one of the missing ingredients is more
important? Type vs function. Hope this stimulates a civil and educational
discussion as it was intended. D.D.

> POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org

Ann , Home of Sel Ex Ch Mechanical Bull and #1 Dam I've Got It All ROM
     Breeder-Owner of 62 Champions and 18 ROMs
 www.edangsd.com