[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Return to Canine Discussions

  • From: caggra@xxxxxxx
  • To: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:05:02 -0500

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule...and there are certainly dogs that are
not clean coming and going that do not end up breaking down...and no, not
necessarily "locked-up", but breaking down.   But a majority of those who are
not clean coming and going DO break down.
So, what I am saying is that a Judge from inside the ring that only has a few
minutes to decide does not know if the unclean dog they are looking at is an
exception or not.   So, my opinion is that judges should sway toward the
cleaner animal (because more times than not, those animals DO break
down)...UNLESS the cleaner animal is far less in quality, movement etc.  If the
cleaner animal has Good, but not great movement, it should win.  If it has poor
movement it shouldn't.
It's easier for outsiders to see a dog several times or for hours being worked
at a show...but a judge only has a few mins to figure out which dog best fits
the Standard.  The Standard calls for Correct movement from all angles.  So, I
am sorry but faults of gait from any angle, as specifically stated in the
standard IS a serious fault.

JMO,
Jeff