[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Retire Hero Dog Awards ??

  • From: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:40:43 EDT

It will be a sad day if there are no more Hero Dog awards! My Ben is no
loner with me and his aware means so very much to me. Of al the awards Ben won,

none mean as much to me as the GSDCA Hero Dog Award. We received the first
award  in honor of Blanche.

If there are no outstanding dogs the are nominated one year or more just
skip that year. It is not uncommon for awards to be skipped a year. I was just
honored with a Resolution at a dinner set up by our County Commissioners  and
at the dinner there was one big award given each year that honors  someone who
has given their entire life to bettering our county. They listed off  who won
each year since thy started before announcing the recipient this year  and
there were throughout that time three years in which no award was given. My
guess is there was no one to meet the criteria on those years.

I agree with those who are calling for us as members to find those Hero's
and nominate dogs. I have a question, does the dog have to belong to  someone
who is member of the parent club? If so, what about dogs that were  bred by a
member of the parent club? I can put the word out to our service dog  owners
who
have German Shepherds. Most of the dogs we have placed were bred and  donated
by members of the parent club but some were rescued.

During the year if we read about or hear about a GSD that goes beyond their
duties as a pet or working dog we should take responsibility to report them to
 the person responsible for the award so they have some good candidates to
choose  from. With email it should take only a few minutes.

I know this is probably a repetitive question but can someone end me the
email address of the person who does the award. I know of a GSD who was on  of
the top 10 of the Eukauba search for service dog of the year 2004 at the
National level. He continues to do outstanding work and was bred and donated by
parent club member.