[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Retake the Hunte vote?

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:45:29 EST

In a message dated 2/5/2007 10:08:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Karen4paws@xxxxxxx writes:
I know  of few people who sit on a Board of Directors who do not know they
have protection from insurance of Board Members or even fewer who would  stay
on
a Board of Directors who does not have this insurance. I  seriously doubt
anyone  on that Board of Directors voted Yes because  they were afraid they
would
be  sued. If anyone on a Board of  Directors felt this fear in the slightest,
even  just looking at  human nature, does anyone really believe they would
not
ask   questions and find out if it was a legitimate fear? Because you can bet

your  (whatever noun you see fit to add here) that no one would stay  on a
Board
of  Directors if there were really this fear - not in  "sue" happy America.

I've been on several boards, not only dog clubs, but one in particular was  a
non profit handicapped riding organization.  (We provided therapeutic  riding
lessons on a pay what you can, volunteer basis for handicapped children  and
adults.)

Thinking back, when we set up that board, we recruited folks from the
community who had diverse but much needed (for our organization) skill  sets.
Some
had never heard of us in fact when we went knocking. We had  super attorneys,
we had insurance people, fund raisers, marketing folks,  doctors.....we did
indeed know we could be sued (imagine a handicapped child  falling from a
horse?
or a volunteer getting hurt????), and we took the  necessary steps to protect
the organization (which was always in the negative  anyway, lol) and the
people we asked to sit on our board.  In fact, since  there were such deep
pockets
among the board, (not me, I was fresh out of  school<G>), without the
protection of the insurance we maintained, we  never would have attracted the
board
members we did!

I am well aware of the insurance the dog club on whose board I currently
serve carries.  We had a dog loose its cookies a few years back at a TC and  we
have people slip and fall on a muddy agility course.  You think I don't  make
it my business to ascertain we have plenty of coverage????

Like I said, you can put six attorneys in a room and come up with four
different opinions re a board's exposure, each backed with case law. From  the
life
experiences I've had, board members can be named in a suit.  I'm  not saying
that's what would have happened here, I have no personal knowledge of  that.
Is it a legitimate fear, in general, when considering serving on a  BOD?  Yes.
 Would it be reasonable to consider the insurance provided  before agreeing
to be on a particular BOD?  Big fat yes!

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_