[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Results from the North East Futurities/Maturities/ WHY?

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: proudk911@xxxxxxxxx, bobgrady@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:06:10 -0400 (EDT)

Personally.....I've just never felt it's worth it.

For what I'd spend sending a dog to a handler for a month or two to be
trained for their Futurity, (and I HATE sending a baby away!), then shown in a
few shows so that they are ring trained and POLISHED enough to get a LOOK,
I can either have them finished or close to it. By the time a Maturity
rolls around, they are done and out as a special or done and I am planning  a
(bitch's) breeding.

I just never got it. Before my time it was supposed to be a breeder's
showcase...and there are some phenomenal litters being showcased, so not taking

away, but not too many.

I think I have shown 4 in a Futurity, 3 of those I promised their
breeders, none of mine have been shown in a Maturity. They were  (a) finished
and I
didn't want to give a judge I didn't know a chance to  disrespect them or
(b) finished AND I never nominated.

Looking at the numbers, I'm apparently not alone.

Don't read into this that what handlers earn isn't worth it, that's not at
all what I'm saying.  They take babies that haven't a clue (not mine!) and
turn them into show dogs.  Get dogs out of condition into  condition.
baby-sit owners.  But the whole thing has turned into a  mini-national (OMG my
handler is on someone else's dog!!!) for NO points...and I  just don't get it.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 6/10/2014 7:09:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
proudk911@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a  question I'm sure y'all can help answer:
While I understand that entries  used to be much higher years ago in both
the Futurities and Maturities, I  don't understand why that so fewer dogs
ever show in the maturity today (or  always and I hadn't noticed as much with
larger entries overall?) than in the  futurity?  It seems odd that showing in
a futurity is the ticket to  maturity shows-- why don't more people take
advantage of that and enter their  futurity shown dog in the maturities the
following year?  It just seems  there are many advantages to show a maturity
weekend- just as it was to enter  the futurity in the previous year, right?
Or, did I get lost somewhere and  completely miss why the maturities are
much smaller than Futurities  entries?
TIA!
Jen P & her Pack equally curious and lost at the same  time

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud  K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud  of!!!
AKC Breeder of  Merit

POST  is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html