[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Responses for Puppies & Protein

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:34:43 -0700

yep, everyone has their own recipe for success... decide what you want to
accomplish and go from there..
e.g. fast growth in large breeds can promote bone and joint problems.. that
is the primary reason why most don't feed puppy food after 8 weeks - not the
amount of protein. Adult foods typically don't have those high protein, fat
%. The natural foods even lower -heavy puppies at 6 months , especially
males have seen problems..many many vets (relations, friends and my vets
over the years) have told me the advent of puppy food came out of the 60s
when quality dog foods were at a premium (actually, if you might remember
back then it was dog chow and that was about it to feed any dogs) and vets
were seeing puppies being fed scraps, poor quality food etc resulting in
poor growth without proper support to growing bones and tissues - the puppy
food was not as "high powered" as it is today, and was a huge improvement
over what was available back then.. thus, the jingle was born
 "Puppy Chow for a fulllllll year, till he's full grown"
Calcium phosphorus ratio is IMPORTANT - this imbalance can cause connective
tissue, joint and bone problems - someone will correct me, I believe the
ratio is about 2:1

If you feed a   QUALITY food (which I am sure you do) you really shouldn't
need any supplementation - as long as biologically the puppy is absorbing
nutrients at the right rates. Knowing your lines is the best, but basically
monitoring you puppies growth is the most important - it's fast, heavy
growth that can cause the problems..
Just my thoughts and what I have learned and experienced..

Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
SEE  NEW PIC OF "JACKSON" ! http://www.shadowacre.com/jackson.htm
http://www.shadowacre.com/biologic.htm
Give your dogs the Ultimate in Nutritional Support!
BiologicVETNx -the PERFECT supplementation for Raw Diets!
Contact Shadowacre for breeder program Information