[ SHOWGSD-L ] Response to the President Gail Hardcastle

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:39:45 EST

In a message dated 1/5/08 10:27:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hardcastle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
the  bylaws are specific. They do NOT say that the Corr Sec shall
promptly  notify the president and post to all available lists for
discussion.
There are many things not said in the by-laws, and if left out  then you turn
to the laws of a non-profit corporation in the state of New York.  There are
provisions for 'closed meetings" but only to the public. No meetings  should
ever be closed to the members.  This has been ignored and is the  basis for
thinking information can be kept from the members. It cannot.  If  you tried to
put that in the by-laws, it would be in conflict with corporation  law, and
even federal IRS limitations. While it has been going on for a long  time, our
new President, Gail is just the person to start to correct the past  mistakes
and bring the club out of the closet and let everyone know what is  going on,
all the time.

We are here to protect ALL members and treat each fairly. We were  elected,
as you state, to conduct business on behalf of the club. We do not  intend to
act as a higher power. Our job is to follow the by-laws and to  keep our club
free from trouble.
This board is a collection of sincere  and concerned individuals without
agendas. We will do what is right and  unless our bylaws are changed we
follow the outline of  "Section 2.  Charges".

I agree with everything Gail has said. But, nothing in our  by-laws allows
the board to keep things to themselves, and there is nothing that  allows the
board to work on a different level, or degree of knowledge of what is  going
on.
Article VII Section 2 makes it clear what the procedure is to bring  charges,
and what the President and Board must do about them.  No matter  how often or
carefully you read them, you will not find anywhere that the  business of our
club is secret or to be kept from the membership. That is not  included
because our by-laws are copied from the AKC sample by-laws, and even  the AKC
recognise New York corporate law, and IRS regulations that a 501  Corporation
must
allow the members to be included in all club business.   What may be
instructive is when it states, '"The Board of Directors may also  recommend to
the
membership...."  That seems to make it clear, that the  membership has the
right
to know what is going on.

A few years back, when I was on the board, a member sued this  club. Not only
was the information kept secret from the members, but because I  was and
remain a friend of the person suing, it was kept from me, even though I  was an
elected board member. As such, I was unable to advise the  board, or be
involved
in the club's decisions on that issue.  That was  wrong, and even today, this
club and the members have no idea what the  conclusion of that litigation
was. This should not have happened, and the  continued decisions to exclude the
membership should not be encouraged.  I  did not fight the decision at the
time, as it would have been divisive to the  club, and my duty as a board
member
was to act in the best interest of the club,  the members and the breed.

I have faith in this board, and our new leadership. The  changes will not
come overnight, but we have a duty to continue to exert our  opinions and point
out that the past has been wrong, and the future should bring  corrections.  It
is not going to be easy to change what has been going on  for years now, but
our new board has the quality of membership and the strength  of leadership to
do it.

For years, our country didn't allow blacks to learn to read, women to  vote
or drive, or limit the work imposed on children.  We allowed separate  but
equal schools, allowed American citizens to be owned by other  people, allowed
workers to work unlimited hours, and forced our citizens to go  to war, no
matter
what they believed in their faith.  That was all changed  with courage,
perseverance, hard work and energy, and except for allowing women  to drive,
has
all strengthened our great nation.

The GSDCA sits today on the chance to change for the better  many of the past
actions that damaged our club.  Never have I seen a better  group of elected
board members or a better President to do so.  Let's give  them the chance,
remind them of their duties and obligations, and continue to  support them in
the difficult task ahead. They enter the year with great  challenges, and past
mistakes.  They are up to the task, and we could not  have chosen better
individuals to do so.

I am very optimistic about this club, and support our board  in every way I
can.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/