[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Response to ignorance/long and not what you want to hear.

  • From: GSGrandma@xxxxxxx
  • To: hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:10:54 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2009 1:32:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I  believe the standard changes much like hemlines, that is what is
fashionable  today, may not have been yesterday, or tomorrow. Back in the day I
understand  a certain VERY extreme dog was promoted as being the panacea for
the breed.  The person promoting the dog was perceived by most as being in a
power  position, therefore the fancy followed much like lemmings plunging off
the  cliff. We then entered the era of extreme angulation, which the public
 perceived as "crippled", as they say "Out of the mouth of babes." It was
during this era that the public turned away from the American GSD and
started  looking toward import lines.

Fast forward 30 or so years, we have gone  to the other "extreme", the
rears of many dogs have very little turn of stifle  or length of stifle, croups
are flatter, dogs appear to have under drive, when  the handler holds his
arm up in the air so that the dog drops in the rear,  deceiving the majority
into believing that rear drive exists. We can add to  this short, lifty
fronts that are evident when you see the elbow at a right  angle from the body
instead of being fully extended from the body. This can be  observed in many
still moving pix .BTW,I pay particular attention to lifty  fronts, since GV
Bull was credited for creating them, and nearly all the  current dogs that
exhibit this fault do not have Bull in the pedigree. Funny  how no one seems
to recognize the problem exists in these current lines. I  suppose because
the fancy is  not being told by "someone in power" what  they need to be
seeing and what they need to be thinking, they cannot  recognize it on
their own. My friends and I often chuckle when we see a  lifty dog as we
know if had been a Bull progeny, everyone would be  screaming"that dog lifts."
Whether the animal in question did or didn't was  irrelevant,that is what
some in the fancy were told to believe and because it  was a Bull progeny, it
was labeled as such.

Now the same who decided 30  years ago that extreme was "fashionable" and
that all Bull progeny  lifted  have now decided for us( I suppose because
they think we cannot  make decisions for ourselves) that the breed needs to go
the direction   of another extreme, toward the so-called "balanced
movement," Mind you, NOT  balanced in a good sense as described in our
standard, but
balanced movement  with fronts and rears likened to that of a terrier which
is NOT correct for  our breed. Although loss of a good rear( angulation) can
be fixed without  too much issue Fixing flat croups and soft backs as well
as incorrect  shoulders are not easily regained once lost. Once gone, you
will be several  generations doing damage control.

Sadly, what I have seen in the past  and currently with our breed, has very
little to do with the breed, or the  standard. It has to do with M_O_N_E_Y.
Those who want to control what we  think, what dogs we breed to and where
we buy show prospects, want to control  the breed which in turn controls the
money. Keep in mind, in Germany the GSD  translates into big money.In the US
import dogs translate into money. There  are those who have bred show GSD's
for years and are now breeding import  lines. They don't know squat about
training dogs in schutzhund, but they know  the smell of money. While
breeders of American lines have been concerned about  being politically
correct,
the import breeders have been exploiting and  trashing American lines left and
right. The reason Schutzhund has increased  and German style shows have
increased is because of the money to be made. In  Germany one breed warden
controls the direction the breed should go. I love  the German choice of
the word "warden" it makes me think of prison. The  "Warden" controls the
money,who makes money, the power and the minds of the  breeders. What
decisions are made in regard to the "breed" are controlled by  the warden. The
breed warden concept  goes against the grain of most  free- thinking Americans.
However, do not delude yourselves into thinking that  we do not have a
"Breed Warden" in this country. We clearly do. Whenever the  masses bestow any
one person or "network" with the money, the power,  the  direction the breed
should go,and who you should breed to and buy from you  have, whether
intended or not,YOU HAVE appointed a Breed Warden. Those who do  not adhere to
the
direction the warden wants to go, find it increasingly more  difficult to
get others to promote their puppies, or breed to their dogs.  There is a bit
of a push right now to look toward import lines as the "new"  panacea for our
breed. it is supposed to provide us with genetic diversity. It  is
interesting that those who think we need diversity are probably
responsible for creating the situation we are currently in.

I was  thumbing through a 1996 Redbook the other day and became painfully
aware of  the number of independent breeders we have lost  through either
retirement, death or simply just "taking a break from dogs,".Tom and Kathy
Sherman( Hoehenichen) Tom Castriota( Cypress) Barb and Lee Trapp and Tim
Trapp( Lebarland)Ken and Delaine Thompson( Ken-Delaine) Shirley Raymond(
Pilgrim) The Rose's ( Brentaryl)Joan Ford( Fran-Jo),the
Breault's(Breauhausen)Lorraine Schowalter(Schokrest)to name a few, and many
more great breeders who
have drastically reduced their breeding programs.  These folks were
instrumental in keeping the balance in the sport as well as  in the breed.
These
breeders  brought to their breeding programs an  independent way of thinking,
they knew how to evaluate their own animals,  select their own breeding stock
and puppies. Most knew the faults of their  dogs, and bred to improve.
Handler's respected these breeders and took  instruction from them on how
to best present their animals, not vise versa  like today. These folks I
mentioned and others like them were not "BIG"  breeders because of the number
of animals they produced, but because of the  "QUALITY" they produced.Today,
the desire for a quick win, instant success and  notoriety if far more
important than consistent quality. it is so much easier  to be TOLD what to do
and how to do it, than to think for yourself and own  your own successes as
well as your own failures. Sadly the days of the  independent thinking,
successful small "BIG" breeder are becoming extinct,  much in the way Wal-mart
destroyed the mom and pop shops who could no longer  compete without
difficulty against mass production and availability.  CG
www.hickoryhillgsd.com