[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Response to ignorance/long and not what you want to hear.

  • From: S&C Grainger <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:31:57 -0800 (PST)

I believe the standard changes much like hemlines, that is what is fashionable
today, may not have been yesterday, or tomorrow. Back in the day I understand a
certain VERY extreme dog was promoted as being the panacea for the breed. The
person promoting the dog was perceived by most as being in a power position,
therefore the fancy followed much like lemmings plunging off the cliff. We then
entered the era of extreme angulation, which the public perceived as
"crippled", as they say "Out of the mouth of babes." It was during this era
that the public turned away from the American GSD and started looking toward
import lines.

 Fast forward 30 or so years, we have gone to the other "extreme", the rears of
many dogs have very little turn of stifle or length of stifle, croups are
flatter, dogs appear to have under drive, when the handler holds his arm up in
the air so that the dog drops in the rear, deceiving the majority into
believing that rear drive exists. We can add to this short, lifty fronts that
are evident when you see the elbow at a right angle from the body instead of
being fully extended from the body. This can be observed in many still moving
pix .BTW,I pay particular attention to lifty fronts, since GV Bull was credited
for creating them, and nearly all the current dogs that exhibit this fault do
not have Bull in the pedigree. Funny how no one seems to recognize the problem
exists in these current lines. I suppose because the fancy is  not being told
by "someone in power" what they need to be seeing and what they need to be
thinking, they cannot recognize it on
 their own. My friends and I often chuckle when we see a lifty dog as we know
if had been a Bull progeny, everyone would be screaming"that dog lifts."
Whether the animal in question did or didn't was irrelevant,that is what some
in the fancy were told to believe and because it was a Bull progeny, it was
labeled as such.

 Now the same who decided 30 years ago that extreme was "fashionable" and that
all Bull progeny lifted  have now decided for us( I suppose because they think
we cannot make decisions for ourselves) that the breed needs to go the
direction  of another extreme, toward the so-called "balanced movement," Mind
you, NOT balanced in a good sense as described in our standard, but balanced
movement with fronts and rears likened to that of a terrier which is NOT
correct for our breed. Although loss of a good rear( angulation) can be fixed
without too much issue Fixing flat croups and soft backs as well as incorrect
shoulders are not easily regained once lost. Once gone, you will be several
generations doing damage control.

Sadly, what I have seen in the past and currently with our breed, has very
little to do with the breed, or the standard. It has to do with M_O_N_E_Y.
Those who want to control what we think, what dogs we breed to and where we buy
show prospects, want to control the breed which in turn controls the money.
Keep in mind, in Germany the GSD translates into big money.In the US import
dogs translate into money. There are those who have bred show GSD's for years
and are now breeding import lines. They don't know squat about training dogs in
schutzhund, but they know the smell of money. While breeders of American lines
have been concerned about being politically correct, the import breeders have
been exploiting and trashing American lines left and right. The reason
Schutzhund has increased and German style shows have increased is because of
the money to be made. In Germany one breed warden controls the direction the
breed should go. I love the German choice of
 the word "warden" it makes me think of prison. The "Warden" controls the
money,who makes money, the power and the minds of the breeders. What decisions
are made in regard to the "breed" are controlled by the warden. The breed
warden concept  goes against the grain of most free- thinking Americans.
However, do not delude yourselves into thinking that we do not have a "Breed
Warden" in this country. We clearly do. Whenever the masses bestow any one
person or "network" with the money, the power,  the direction the breed should
go,and who you should breed to and buy from you have, whether intended or
not,YOU HAVE appointed a Breed Warden. Those who do not adhere to the direction
the warden wants to go, find it increasingly more difficult to get others to
promote their puppies, or breed to their dogs. There is a bit of a push right
now to look toward import lines as the "new" panacea for our breed. it is
supposed to provide us with genetic diversity. It is
 interesting that those who think we need diversity are probably responsible
for creating the situation we are currently in.

 I was thumbing through a 1996 Redbook the other day and became painfully aware
of the number of independent breeders we have lost  through either retirement,
death or simply just "taking a break from dogs,".Tom and Kathy Sherman(
Hoehenichen) Tom Castriota( Cypress) Barb and Lee Trapp and Tim Trapp(
Lebarland)Ken and Delaine Thompson( Ken-Delaine) Shirley Raymond( Pilgrim) The
Rose's ( Brentaryl)Joan Ford( Fran-Jo),the Breault's(Breauhausen)Lorraine
Schowalter(Schokrest)to name a few, and many more great breeders who have
drastically reduced their breeding programs. These folks were instrumental in
keeping the balance in the sport as well as in the breed. These breeders
brought to their breeding programs an independent way of thinking, they knew
how to evaluate their own animals, select their own breeding stock and puppies.
Most knew the faults of their dogs, and bred to improve. Handler's respected
these breeders and took instruction from them on how
 to best present their animals, not vise versa like today. These folks I
mentioned and others like them were not "BIG" breeders because of the number of
animals they produced, but because of the "QUALITY" they produced.Today, the
desire for a quick win, instant success and notoriety if far more important
than consistent quality. it is so much easier to be TOLD what to do and how to
do it, than to think for yourself and own your own successes as well as your
own failures. Sadly the days of the independent thinking, successful small
"BIG" breeder are becoming extinct, much in the way Wal-mart destroyed the mom
and pop shops who could no longer compete without difficulty against mass
production and availability. CG
www.hickoryhillgsd.com