[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue update and info from LHSH...long but please read!

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:26:17 -0400

Great post, Diane!

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

----- Original Message -----
From: <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>
To: <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:32 PM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue update and info from LHSH...long but please
read!

i am continually amazed at what LHSH manages to accomplish for the GSD but
want to respond to 3 of dawn's points (the ones listed below).  while i
fully agree that the GSDCA should do whatever it can to support rescue, we
really have come along way in that area and very much need to continue to
improve.

re #1 below, jamie walker has been breaking her back to write and present a
 breeder's code "with teeth" - perhaps a gsdca board member can tell us
where  that new code now stands and when it will be approved/used etc.

re #2 below - many clubs have canine ambassadors - many don't - many  clubs
don't even know about the program.  i'm only familiar with it because  i
got started in it via the gsdc of los angeles about 20 years ago.  it's a
WONDERFUL program that targets children and families about responsible dog
ownership and breed education.  perhaps lhsh should send out a bulk email  to
all regional clubs and offer educational material to their canine
ambassadors.

re #4 below - educational events are an akc requirement for clubs  now.
the gsdc of the sacramento valley recently put together a  beautiful GSD
display for a public library.  carolyn martello has some  great photos of the
display for those who are interested (sorry,  carolyn<G>).  again, i think that
if lhsh were able to provide the  clubs with informational material, many
would be more than willing to  incorporate them into their events.

LHSH has done so incredibly much to help the GSDs in need - maybe the above
 3 items are ways in which we can help LHSH help the dogs.
JMO,
diane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
In a message dated 7/21/2009 11:17:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
windwych@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  GSDCA should take a leadership role in
altering the course of Rescue as it  currently stands with our breed.

1. We need a stronger "Breeders Code  of Ethics"

2. The PC
could encourage the use of the AKC Canine  Ambassador program in its
regional clubs.

4.
In  order to expand our base of info, each regional club should hold at
least one  educational event at an all breed show in their area each
year.