[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue advice needed

  • From: "LEE" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cyndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:18:11 -0500

Hi Cyndy,

Your friend has become a "collector." It usually starts with the rescue of a
few dogs and it progresses to mulitple dogs and/or cats to the point where
the person can no longer care for the animals. At some point, the person
looses touch with reality and feels he or she is "saving" the animals while,
in reality, he is hurting them through neglect.

I has some experience with more than a few collectors from my rescue days.

Your options will depend on the condition of the animals. If the animals are
terrible condition with severe medical problems and, in some cases, living
in excrement alongside dead and dying animals, it is necessary to call in
the authorities. (I don't think this is the case with your friend.) However,
if your friend has gotten in over his head and the animals are still in
decent shape, there are a couple of steps you can take. One is to find an
all-breed rescue and persuade them to help. It will be almost impossible to
get him to release all the dogs, even if there was someplace for them to go.
We had success with getting the collector to give up a few at a time until
the number was down to a reasonable count. Quite frankly, there were
somepeople who we never had enough of a situation to legally take the dogs,
but periodically we'd take a few to keep the numbers down.

The second option is Petfinder.com. Many rescues have referral services,
where they can help place the animals.

I know this is a difficult situation. Good luck.

Lee Smith