[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue Joys

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:33:38 EST

One balmy morning back in June/04 a coworker showed up with 3 puppies in his
hands.
His neighbors have left in the middle of the night a week before and left a
very pregnant boxer tied up in their backyard.  The bitch had the pups and my
friend had spent 3 days trying to get to her and the pups.  They were 5, and
when he finally convinced mom that all was well, only 3 were alive.  They took
this bitch and the pups to the ER clinic, and maxed their credit cards getting
much needed help to these creatures.
He brought the pups to work so that we could help, he had no clue what to do
next.

So, like a sucker, I took the pups home.  2 were very weak and didn't make
it, the 3rd was a Tonka Truck.  She had an upper respiratory infection (from
being under a home for 3 days, maybe?) but quickly recovered.  At 2 months we
decided to name her Phoebe, puppy didn't sound cute anymore.

At 4 months we placed her with a police officer, who decided she was too much
for him.
Mind you, having dealt with "lost causes" before, I knew training her was the
best way to get her a good home.  This pup was totally potty trained, and
mostly hand trained, I had time <G>.  Well, I think she was too smart for her
own
good. She came back.  Same policy we have with our GSD, anything that leaves
our home can come back if things don't work out.

Then I had a brilliant moment (boy that doesn't happen often).  My oldest
daughter has moved away from home, and was missing the dogs, and this is a low
maintenance dog, so why not?  They loved each other, Tachi helped raise her.
So
off they go, and 2 days later Tachi called me, this dog is insane!!!!!  she
tells me.  I asked her what's the problem.  Well, at that precise moment the
dog is on top of her coffee table with her leash in her mouth barking and
growling at Tachi.  Now I laugh, then I almost got in my car for a 3+ hour
drive.

That weekend the puppy came home.  Again.

Pablo and I decided to give her until Thanksgiving to find her a good home?
And then what? I asked.  We were at a loss as to what to do with Phoebe.

Funny thing, we never had a single problem with her at home.  Not one.  No
potty problems, no aggression problem with the many other animals, nothing. I
kept working with her and she is wayyyy smart.

So, Thanksgiving came and went.  We got busy with the holidays.  Christmas
morning I ran downstairs to a big commotion.  Pablo was trying to put a bow on
Phoebe.  We busted out laughing as he proclaimed: Merry Christmas, she is all
yours!!!!

And mine she is...... one moose of a pup, we guessed dad was a rottweiler.

Here she is, just as happy as she can be, just as well behaved as I could
want, a joy for the GSD's (she can keep up with them, unlike the poodle)
Her and The Rodney Man are the best friend. Ms Tess thinks Phoebe stinks, and
TJ and Beefers thinks she is too much fun.  Phoebe loves Bunny (the poodle)
and learned that cats are just not cool.  The birds remain a mystery.

We go for walks and the kids in the neighborhood love her, I am thinking
about Therapy Dogs, to work with kids.  I think she'll do well.

One thing she LOVES is herding.  Maybe if I can get those ears to stand
up....and a little saddle....and a better nose........

What has all this cost me?  Suffice to say that I gave up any and all of my
Christmas presents......and I still ended up a winner.

Ileana