[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescue

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: dir@xxxxxxxxxx, Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:12:11 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/07 4:25:56 AM !!!First Boot!!!, dir@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> CONSTANT COMMUNICATION  with the possible adoptee and the
> Rescue groups is so very important for those of us willing to take these
> guys--especially the old ones.  I worry so about them.
> I did not mean to make a large issue about the Rook dog but was just
> emotional about him and my time I gave up with my grandkids--WAITING

just wanted to add my 2 cents in here for whatever it may be worth.  as i am
sure many of you such as tari and connie know, rescue is a physically and
emotionally draining job - while extremely rewarding, it is, at best,
difficult.
the dogs in question are not happy little well bred, cared for and loved
puppies or adults.  these are often physically and emotionally abused animals
who
come with some heavy baggage.  straight out of a shelter situation, the dogs
are frightened and confused and must be given, literally, 24/7 attention until
they accept that they will no longer be harmed by humans.

if i remember correctly, sandi, you had some serious shoulder surgery and,
although your heart was willing to take blind helen last spring and do
transport
a few months ago, physical limitations rightfully made the decision for you
and you were unable to do those things at that time.  from what i read of your
emails, you had some time constraints this past weekend and the word "might"
was used when referring to whether or not you would actually be able to keep
the rook dog.  again, i 100% believe that your heart was in the right place but
"might" is not something which fits a rescue.  i have had cat killers come
through here and, no pun intended, they don't change their spots.  since you do
have a cat, i would not have placed rook or any dog that had cat issues with
you as your cat deserves safety in his own home.  many times, we think we will
be able to control the situation.  it usually doesn't work out that way and
ends up in disaster.

i know no more than you do about rook but it does sound like Last Hope did
what was best for the dog.  THAT is what rescue is all about and, as i know you
love this breed, i'm sure you agree.  communication is difficult when there
are multiple parties involed but patience is the key.  i have had many
occasions
where there were multiple offers for adoption of a particular dog and have
always tried to do what was best for the dog.  sure, there were disappointed
applicants, but most understood.  maybe the person for whom you left messages
was
on the phone for hours trying to arrange transport for the dog in order to
get him out of the hellhole in which he was living.  admittedly, i, too, would
have dealt with that prior to returning any other calls.  tight schedules such
as the one you were dealing with this past weekend really don't work in an
emergency situation and i do believe that everyone, including you, was trying
do what was best for rook and DID in fact accomplish that!  so....let's be
happy for another saved life and applaud Last Hope for saving 9 souls in just a
few days.  i doubt that many realize what a monumental task that really is.  i
couldn't have done it.
diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>