[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Reply Mediocre

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ArDeJay@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:26:38 -0700

And*I* take exception to your comments as well.. I HAVE bred and finished
many dogs over the years.. I have lost points to "mediocre" dogs because of
fault judging (EG - the judge telling my handler that if my bitch had been
entered in the RIGHT class - Open instead of Canadian Bred , thank you for
that insight, Leslie Rogers, she would have gone "all the way". The fault
here being entering in the "wrong" class! Just one example, I assure you..)
I will agree.. it IS harder to get an American CH than Canadian because of
your required 2 majors, but too often (and I do not say always) dogs that
really shouldn't be champions are. Oh, and I also congratulate those
owners.. it was their turn and my hat goes off to them.. they have worked
hard too and have probably spent a lot more $$$ at it as well. It isn't the
dogs I am complaining about, it is the judges that perpetuate it. When I
started in dog shows, an all breed entry in Canada was 60 plus animals..
animals that were shown in both all breed and specialties..now we are lucky
to get 10.. the dogs that owners show at specialties stay home or travel to
the specialties.. why?? because too many all breed judges choose to fault
ear set, extreme side gait, topline or pigment and chose the "middle of the
road" (dare I say mediocre???) for the points..
I am not so bold as to say this happens at every show, but enough to cause
people to make their "lists" of judges that will look at their dogs and
appreciate them.. if what I am saying is unfounded, I would love to hear
it.. but I hope, then, everyone throws out their lists of judges and enters
shows because they know the judging will be according to the standard..

just my opinion folks!
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com