[ SHOWGSD-L ] Replies

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lealynn@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:21:57 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you, Liz, for jumping in so quickly.  I was getting ready to ask
what you were seeing.
All information is important.
Carol

In a message dated 5/10/2011 9:14:33 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Lealynn@xxxxxxx writes:
I have  to weigh in on this.  Maybe in the old days the top 20 was
represented more by quantity but not in recent years.  The idea  that
small breeders
are not recognized is an old wives tale.   In fact many times  I shake my
head over things I read here that I  absolutely know are not true  <G>.
I think many would be  surprised if they knew how few litters the top 4  or
5 Stud dogs  really sire in a year.  After those 4-5 dogs,  the drop off in

litters is extreme with most dogs in the top 20 qualifying  with only  1
litter.  Their ranking is based on how many dogs their  progeny  beats in
their
class, and then an extra point or 2 for going  Best In, depending  on the
entries shown.
All the  statistics are there in the Red Book.  Use them.
Also, there IS a  section on the top 20 dogs determined by AKC major  point
shows won  by progeny.  And many of those dogs are also represented by  ONE

progeny.  So yes, again, a small breeder can be recognized if  they
produce
quality.

I have an admission to make on that  note.  I have bought every Red  Book
since the first and for all  of those years I just looked at the pictures
and
write ups.   Little did I know, until I started doing it, how much
information  can be gleaned from analyzing the statistics.  Pictures  can
be  doctored,
write ups can be biased but statistics don't  lie.

Liz
_www.lealynn.com_ (http://www.lealynn.com/)
GSDCA  member since  1976
Signers of the Breeders Code