[ SHOWGSD-L ] Registered GSDs

  • From: Vicki Roye <vicki.roye@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TISHW@xxxxxxx" <TISHW@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 06:20:45 -0800 (PST)

And Tish is 100% right. The vast majority of GSDs that are registered are the
product of backyard breeders, hobby breeders, etc. Only a small % of them,
relatively speaking, come from
GSDCA members, WDA members, UScA members, etc.

I am affiliated with an all breed training facility and we have a GSD or two in
nearly every beginner class. These are generally black and tans. They generally
have been produced somewhat locally. Most were purchased from ads in the paper.
We see a few German bred dogs who were obtained from researching internet
sites. I rarely see a white. We do have a liver in one of the classes right
now.   Most of these people have no idea that there is a local GSD club. Most
have no idea that there is a GSDCA. And if they did, most would not care. THey
do not see themselves as breeders or potential dog show exhibitors. They see
themselves as a person with a great dog that is the breed of their choice. One
family has now entered their first dog show and will be competing this weekend
in Novice A obedience. A few of us plan on attending to support them  and
encourage them since they will not know anyone at the show. They want to join
the local club. The girl with
 the liver got it because it was so pretty and she wants to find a liver male
to breed it to so she can have more just as pretty. I referred her to club web
site. loaned her some books...but never told her negative things about her dog.
She has now read up and finds she needs to spay her girl and enjoy her. She
wants to show in obedience. She is eager to learn.
She had no idea there was a GSDCA.

The local GSD is now working towards putting on obedience trials and later on,
hopefully, agility and maybe even herding down the road. They are reaching out
to these people. I hope they can develop a local program to reward new members
who come in to the fold and enjoy their dogs in performance events and possibly
one day show in conformation as well.

If the clubs could offer these folks a "home" and a place to be where they feel
wanted, accepted, and a part of the workings of the club, I think you could
certainly grow the interest and membership.