[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regions and the Futurity

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 19:06:03 EST

In a message dated 3/18/2006 9:39:25 AM Central Standard Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
....but if you truly want to see what different parts of the country are
producing....that is not the system that we have in place today...would
  love to
hear Dr. Langlitz views on this topic..lol...Ed
--------------------------------------
I happen to like that people travel all over the country to show their dogs
in the futurities.  There are really only two times when we have the chance to
see what is being produced in different parts of the country ... the national,
and the futurities.  Since the futurities are spread fairly evenly around the
country, just about everyone can get to one without too much difficulty, if
only to see what's out there.  If I want to see what is being produced locally,
I can simply go to local shows.  Some folks have suggested that the
futurities should be less important ... basically a puppy match.  I like them
being
important because they draw from all over the country that way.  If I want to
go
to a puppy match, I'll go to a puppy match.
The problem with futurities is supposedly the cost to exhibit in them.
Handling fees are the greatest expense.  The cost of travel and lodging is not
cheap.  The flaw in that argument is that no one is forcing anyone to hire an
expensive handler, and no one is forcing anyone to travel cross country to show
their dog.  Handling fees are expensive because people choose to pay them.
They
make that choice often out of fear that their dog cannot win without a top
handler on it.  That certainly isn't showing much faith in the dog, is it?  If
you have a good enough dog, all you need is someone who is able to show it.
I'd bet there are several Juniors at every futurity who would be honored to be
asked to show our best dogs. When Ashley Douglas was a Junior, she showed quite
a few of our dogs.  I can honestly say that I was never disappointed in the
job she did. In fact, I was usually quite impressed.

There is nothing wrong with the futurity system as it is.  All of the
problems were created by us, and the focus should be on fixing those things,
not a
perfectly healthy futurity system.

I do believe the system could be enhanced by making second, third, and fourth
placing more important.  I once proposed a litter of the year competition
that was based on dogs defeated by members of a litter, but it didn't get past
the board.  The point was to give people who knew they weren't going Best In or
Best Opposite, a reason to show their dogs anyway.  The goal was to increase
entry.  As I said, the system is fine.  However, if someone has ideas to
increase entry, every futurity would be just that much more interesting to
attend.

Tom Langlitz