[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regional Club failures

  • From: LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:20:36 EDT

All very good reasons and I am sure you will see more to follow in your
foot steps.

Lee Brown

In a message dated 8/15/2010 12:08:11 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Carolyn  your point is very well taken.  When our members and directors
made the  decision to fold the club we could have called a parent club Board
Member and  consulted with them first.  But for me and others it was just a
time in  our lives when we decided to not want to try and continue to do shows
and all  all the requirements that AKC demands of us.  We are aging, many
of us do  not want to spend the amount of money it takes to keep the club
going, and we  could not attract others who wanted to own, show or purchase
show GSD's.   Most people in the club did not even own GSD's let alone show in
conformation.  Our area has several obedience and performance groups that
are not clubs but businesses.  They do very well.  Sometimes it is  just a
"sign of the times".  Economy, aging population, and just plain  tired of all
the fighting going on at the parent club level.  We all  decided we could
stay connected with our dogs and have simple parties, travel  to dog shows
and support our fri
ends simply by just being there.  We  do not need a club to have fun!
Running a club is a lot of work for  some.  Purchasing director and
insurance is expensive.  AKC has some  very high expectations of what clubs
must
do.  Prior to shows and  afterward there is a lot that needs to happen.  Don't
even get me started  on getting entries in on time and solving all the
problems associated with  that.  Then of course there is the handlers and hope
that they will  support your show.  Judges who are considered ethical and not
political  and yet will draw.  Not having a glut of handlers will hurt your
 prospects of a successful show.  Too many things that are way out of
everyone's control.  Weather posed huge problems for us most of the  time.  We
have had shows flooded out, rained so hard we moved the ring  under a covered
building that eventually got struck by lightening, snow, and  this last
year the heat baked us all.  No FUN!  NO FUN! NO  FUN!  I have no idea how a
board member from the parent club could help  this.  Again certain areas have
pockets of people
that are club  oriented and own GSD's.  We can travel there if we want to
show.   For years the GSDC Quad Cities did not have majors because they were
a one day  show.  That was even harder.  When I was elected to the
presidency  we worked hard on getting a two day show.  Of course our options
put us
on the same weekend of another GSD club.  Actually we had two options and
both were same weekends of other shows.  Several judges early on were  asked
to judge our show and their response was "your club is not a specialty
club".  So that was a shock too.  We had a lot of proving to do...in  the end
who cares!  It is just a club...we are getting too old for the  drama.
POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/