[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regarding size..............

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: GSD0110@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:14:48 EDT

In a message dated 3/11/2008 9:49:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time, GSD0110
writes:
As for  changing the standard.... what is the point?  Size has been left up
to  our judges disgression with DESIRED but not REQUIRED height limits.... It
has  worked for us so far (in my opinion).... That way if a FABULOUS dog is 27
inches tall we can use him to improve the breed and if we have a bitch that
is  21 1/2 inches, but fantastic, we can use her genetics too to improve the
breed  in general also.

Maybe you can give us the historical  prospective.

Thank you,
Gary Lewis

Gary--First of all,I would not change the standard  regarding  size or weight
. I think our GSDs,like any other breed ,goes in cycles. We  have changed in
type over the years,and it's been mostly for the good. I really  have no fear
in our dogs getting too large. Because so many of GSD people( even  those who
used to be strictly conformation exhibitors) are doing rally
,obedience,herding ,agility,and the really oversized animals would not  be able
to compete. So
I think the situation will regulate itself. I truly am  not concerned at this
point .  Correct movement is more important. If they  are not "built "
right,they won't move right. I like a Stallion type dog,and I  prefer
substantial
bitches, but movement come first. Lloyd Bracket used to say  he like
substantial
bitches,because they were easy whelpers. Helen Miller  Fisher