[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regarding size..............

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: pumagsd@xxxxxxxxx, Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:54:21 EDT

Al--I really think you are wrong on the 30 inch height--that's the  size of a
great Dane. I think it was more like 27 inches. When you  breed& judge GSDs
for many years ,you can  assess  their  height  by where the whither lines up
on your leg( And I judge Great Danes  also).
 I had the privilege of putting them both up  when I did Intersex  at Philly
in1983. Behind Mannix, I had Connie  Beckhardt's  Troll  dog and Verna Kubic's
Kane dog( Select2&3) who went on the next two years to  each go GV. I'm very
much a movement judge,& all three did not appear "  oversized ".I had a hard
time deciding between the three for my choice that  day,but Mannix had a
"presence" about him that would not be denied. Helen  Miller Fisher

In a message dated 3/11/2008 6:53:38 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pumagsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Mannix  was approximately 30" at the withers. I stood next to him many times.
But he  was put together all so well that you would never know. He had an
outstanding  powerful yet fluid ground covering side gait. He was a spectacular
and once in  a lifetime dog ! He was purchased from Jerry Sukerforth (Sp?) by
Jim Cusick  and his wife from Coral Springs, Florida. I have not seen any dog
as exciting  as he was................and what
temperament.......................

And the year he  went GV in Philly he got beat for breed by the GVX who moved
 like...........wow. That sable deserved the BOB at the national. So you can
imagine how good she was. I was there and could not believe my eyes. After
she  won she was let go by the handler and did not break stride all the way
across  the ring on her way to her ownwer. Words could not properly descrbe the

electrifying exciting feeling in the standing crowd !

Al Pumariega
Miami, FL.
Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated  3/10/2008 7:14:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pumagsd@xxxxxxxxx  writes:
Size should not be the determining factor in placing a dog.  I remember an
oversize dog named Sukees Mannix. This is one of the very best  dogs that I
have
ever seen. To this day I cherish a picture that I have of  him. It was so
exiting to see him perform in the ring with Terry Hower at the  end of the
lead.
In those days in the Florida circuit you would have ten ( 10  ) selects in a
show. American and open classes were composed by an average of  20 - 27 dogs.
Terry would wait and be the last to enter the ring and all eyes  would be fixed
on him. This dog that earned the title of Grand Victor in  Philly was well
over the standard. All that being said I like a BIG male and a  medium size
bitch.

I never thought he was oversized,,,but  I only saw him at the National

viv

Vivian Brown
Santa Ana CA