[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Regarding changes...Review (long)

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:27:02 -0600

Sarah, I LOVE your letter! It’s passionate, well-thought-out, creative,
positive — and full of good ideas. You go, girl!!!

I look forward to reading more of your posts!!

Fran
Home of Konigin’s My Abilene, TC, CGC, THD

On Aug 7, 2015, at 2:02 PM, gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

For starters and to ease in.....I would like to see the GSDCA Review more
comprehensive. I LOVE looking at the show ads and reading the articles. I
also LOVE including the SV/IPO dogs. And, I am also a performance competitor.
out
I want our Review to represent EVERY segment of our breed EVERY month!!!! Not
just an article here or there.

I would like to see some new sections included in the Review:

Section 1) Newbie
In this section, we pretend that a new potential GSD owner has picked up our
magazine for the first time. We would cover different topics every month.
Maybe one month it is....How to groom your German shepherd?
Another...breaking down the show classes...what is a specialty vs all-breed
show...what is a futurity and why is it important? Another....reviewing
different flea and tick options.

Section 2) Breed history/Standard
In this section, we can talk about the history of the breed and break down
the standard. One month, the beginning of the breed and talk about Max Von
Stephanitz. Next time, analyzing proper forearm/shoulder structure.

Section 3) Working/performance
In this section, we reach out to our German shepherd lovers who compete in
performance. We have an article on...so you want to get started in herding?
Or, unlocking the mystery of IPO (Schutzhund). Another month....how to start
tracking and what titles are available? What is nosework?

Section 4) Training
Here, we talk about a new training goal every month. Maybe How to teach the
retrieve. How to use positive reinforcement training methods? What to do when
your dog leaves a track?

Section 4) Fun German shepherd stuff
Here, we reach out to our fellow German shepherd lovers who don't show in AKC
events. Maybe talk about Hiking with your dog; doing therapy work; camping
with your dog; your shepherd as a running partner

Section 5) Health
Talk about problems our breed faces and signs. GI issues, seizures, bloat, etc

It would also be cool to every month to have a section where people could
submit candid pictures of their dogs. I know I love seeing German shepherds
doing all kinds of things!

Anyway, just some thoughts.....

I am a GSDCA member and I just want us to all support each other in whatever
we do with our beloved German shepherds. I feel like there is a whole segment
of breed lovers who might not always feel included. Our goal should be to
support the TOTAL German shepherd. A divided house cannot stand!

I love watching a top conformation dog and I'll say it....you're damn right
Dallas was one of my favorites and I make no apologies for that. I miss the
balanced, moderate dog our breed standard calls for. I love watching IPO dogs
work. I think every shepherd should demonstrate that nerve, balanced
temperament, and courage. I incredibly enjoy watching our breed work and
participate in performance classes. Those herding dogs can have me in tears
watching them do what they were originally bred to do. Furthermore, my first
shepherd was a white that cropped up in a 6 generation pedigree of colored
dogs (much to the horror of his breeder). That dog started my love of the
German shepherd and I have no problem embracing whites.

It is time we break down walls and unite together. Our breed is the best dog
on the planet and if we gave them a chance....they would amaze us with their
versatility! But, WE are our own worse enemy by putting limitations on what
they can or cannot do. We are our own worse enemy by putting up walls and not
embracing each other. There is an enemy and it is us.

The day a Select Champion holds his IPO (I'll even take BH and would scream
with joy to the high heavens) and an IPO 1 dog is a Select dog is not too far
in our future (will scream equally as loud)!! We just got to believe! There
are already breeders crossing between conformation and AKC performance and
IPO and AKC performance. It is time we support each other. Our dogs can do
it! We just need to break away from our comfort zones.

We also need to embrace our shepherds who do not show but are no less
important.

**We are on the horizon of a new time in our breed. This transition will
define us for years to come.**

We all love our breed. I know all of us can appreciate a great German
shepherd regardless of what world she is in.....

We have the chance to seize this opportunity and define who we are as a group
and what we stand for. I pray we stand for the beauty, type, working ability,
courage, and versatility our breed embodies! We must be inclusive to ALL
German shepherd lovers.

"Never doubt that a group of passionate, thoughtful citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."- Margaret Mead

Thank you,
Sarah Minsk-Eduardo

Sent from my
is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original
kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND
of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed
in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original author