[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Red Sperm

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, donna183@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:51:50 -0500

I guess we all have different experiences. Bart and Cindy's old dog
collected this way for years..never a prostate problem..and very
fertile..whenever bred naturally or by collection. When I say blood vessel=
"
I don't mean like he cut an artery..I mean that there are many superficial
capillaries..that are easily broken...especially if the dog is a bit harde=
to collect. Doesn't happen often..or regularly...but it does
happen..C.Grainger

 From: Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxx
 Date: 9/16/2005 1:34:23 PM
 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Red Sperm

 It is a rare thing for a collection to cause the vessels to rupture and
bleed.   It CAN happen, but it is unusual and should never be considered c=
ommon and acceptable.
Almost always blood in the semen is from a prostrate problem.   A stud goi=
ng "NUTS"
over a bitch and not being used can cause it .... but the prostrate should=
 be checked to make
sure .... and another collection done to re check it in a couple of days.
An infection will show up with crooked tails and deformities and less
sperm, typically  not blood in the semen.   If there is too much red blood=
 cells in the semen
collection it will kill the sperm....
 Evidently this dog is still OK....but I would recommend they have his
prostrate checked before it becomes a problem.

 Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
 www.marhaven.com

  From: "Edwin Hill" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 ...well when my Vet collected him we saw that the collection was a
light red color...the vet said that for some reason there was blood in the
  semen...

 A repro vet once tell me that it was not unusual for a bit of blood to
show up in a collection because when males are collected for an AI,
sometimes the small vessels in the penis rupture and will bleed...
  Donna Jourdan/WINDSWEPT