[ SHOWGSD-L ] Recent discussions on the List

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:35:24 -0400

I wanted to make some comments on some of the discussions on the List
these last couple of weeks.  I didn't do so before, because of my
attention I was givng to my Amber.  So that was foremost on my mind.
Also because of the other non-dog related Lists I belong to, I found my
e-mail box with over 500 posts in it.  I just couldn't get to it all.
So now that mother and daughters are content with getting to know one
another, I thought I'd get to some of this.

I agree that Jane Kerner's letters were just beautiful and well thought
out pieces of her heart put into words and generously shared with all of
us to enjoy.  She seems like a class act and someone who you would like
to call friend.

Absolutely delighted to hear Gail Sprock is out showing again.  Always
was a magnificent handler and she's doing something that she always
enjoyed.  Continued success to you Gail.  She handled my and Lorraine's
"Sel Kharu" and for that I will always remain thankful.  (Although,
truth be told, she didn't handle him to his Sel title that year....a
lovely girl by the name of Judith ???? did).  I wonder where she is now.

The subject of handlers really started some "heat waves" among the
List.  My feelings on it.  They WORK for you!!!  You always have the
POWER, not them.  It's up to YOU if you use them or not.  If you don't
think you're getting a fair shake....KICK THEM TO THE CURB!  There are
ALWAYS other's who can do just as good with a good dog as they can if
you show it under a judge who judges dogs and not the handler.  While on
the subject of handlers.   The thing that is different today compared to
yesterday is that now handlers also breed.  Of course this is their
business if they do this.  I do not think it's fair, however if they
compete with a clients dog.  The clients dog should ALWAYS be their
first choice.  If not, see the above and what you should do about it!
Years ago the handlers would recommend to other breeders a stud dog that
they were showing.  They would recommend a litter of puppies for you to
look at.  They would try to help you sell your show puppies.  Today, the
handlers are interested in their own stud dogs being used and their own
puppies being sold.  Conflict of interest?  Also this is a big beef of
mine and once again only my opinion:  If your handler doesn't LOVE your
dog or at least LIKE HIM A LOT.......look else where.  Why?  Because it
shows in the way that that handler handles your dog.  I can always tell
when a handler LOVES a dog.  He is putting his/her all in winning with
that dog.  Naturally he wants to be with a big winner!  It makes him/her
look good as well as your dog.  In my opinion again:  there are three
kinds of dogs a handler handles.  1) One he/she LOVES, 2) one he thinks
is good and can do some winning with and finish, and 3) the filler - I
need to pay the mortgage this month kind of dog.  Know which type of dog
you have and watch how the handler shows him.  Just because you love
your dog, doesn't mean the handler does.  This is the truth, no matter
who wants to admit it or not.  Is this handler enthusiastic about your
dog or does he/she take him in the ring and does little more for him
than you yourself could do by taking him in the ring yourself?  We've
all owned all three of these kinds of dogs at some time in our lives.
Know where your dog fits in.  Either get yourself another handler or get
yourself another dog and keep the one you love to lie on the sofa all
day and enjoy him for what he is.  I can honestly say, that I have at
one time or another utilized the services of ALL of the TOP handlers on
the East coast and they always conducted themselves fairly with me and
my dogs.  I knew the ones that they LOVED and the ones that they knew
that were good and they could win with.  I never felt they ever used any
of my dogs as a filler.  I might have shown some of those "fillers"
myself when I was a "sweet young thing" in my twenties before I knew
better and I was still able to run around the ring.  Today, I know
better than make a total idiot of myself!    LOL!

The Judges:  Follow what the judge NORMALLY puts up.  Look at the kind
of dogs that they have owned or bred.  Don't complain if you bring a
moving machine to this judge and he/she is crazy about type.  Obviously
all things considered, a good judge will go with what is presented to
him/her on that day and may sway from what they normally put up.  But I
find MOST of the time, they pretty much stick to what they like and
own.  Using myself as an example, people who know me, knows that
movement is what I'd put up if I was judging.  Of course temperament
would be of the utmost importance to me.  But believe me, if I had a dog
that was drop dead gorgeous and a mover who left a lot to be desired in
type, the former would probably go up.  So on a different day, a judge
known to put up a certain type NORMALLY, may do something different on
this day.

Lastly........we're in a very competitive sport.  And there is only one
winner in males and one winner in bitches for the points.  If you really
have a good/great one, he/she will get his chance.  You can't keep a
good one down for too long.  He will do more than his share of winning.
Know what you want to accomplish in this breed.  If you breed just for
yourself and not what is winning, then that is fine.  You're pleasing
yourself and there's nothing wrong with that.  On the other hand if you
breed for what is winning, than you'll probably bring home more
ribbons.  It's all about knowing the market and what's winning and if
this is what you want to accomplish.  Set goals for yourself and never
fear having dreams.  If you can dream it, you can accomplish it if you
set your mind to it.  Know how to play this game/sport of ours.  Give
the handler and judge what they want, (but make sure it's pleasing to
you as well), and you'll get that winner.  If you think you are not
doing your fair share of winning, than change the direction you're going
in.

My final comment.  Someone said to me, don't you feel like you wasted
your bitches season because you only got two puppies because she was
bred a little too late?  A BIG NO!  A better question would have been,
wouldn't you have liked to have had more puppies from her?  A BIG YES.
BUT.......AND THIS IS JUST AS BIG...................I AM SO OVERWHELMING
HAPPY AND THANKFUL for these "twin" babies because God sent them to me
to love and take care of.  This was his plan for me.  I've learned to
not look at all the things I don't have, but be thankful for all the
things I do have!  My mom was a great role model in that area.  For the
lack of wealth that I have in my bank acount, I've been blessed with a
lot of wealth in my heart.  Just think of all the time and special
attention these girls will get.  I can take them everywhere with me.
They don't have to share my time and their mothers.  There's plenty of
love to go around for the two of them.  Yes, they will be so spoiled.  I
HAVE BEEN TRULY BLESSED!  Remember good things come in small packages.
And God sent me this small package, and I eagerly await to find out
what's inside.  And oh by the way, one of the best things about the
"Twins" is that they were born on my dearly beloved deceased step dads
birthday who was known to be one of the kindest, gentlest men that I
knew.  Thanks dad......your star was shining brightly when the "Twins"
were born.   They're an "Aries" just like you.....a fire sign.....oh
my.  I AM VERY GRATEFUL,   Barbara